DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default System Monitoring Tools

Greetings:

I've noticed a few unnamed processes that are displayed by the logout/shutdown process window (with options to cancel, logout anyway, etc). I can't identify the process - since the name is listed as "unknown".

Q1: I noticed that OBSD's version of Gnome doesn't carry the system monitoring tools that graphically display the processes, cpu/network/memory usage, etc. Do OBSD use other tools?

Q2: As for other Window Managers such as GNUStep, XFCE, WindowMaker (not a KDE user at the present; but presume they have some) are there any similar tools for them?

Q3: While browsing the web at night, noticed that the hard drive would 'spool up' and engage for a few good minutes. It usually spools up at night; and the last time it happened, I was in a chat session on Facebook w/a old schoolmate. Is there a background process that is responsible for it (sweeper, cleaning up /tmp), or has my install been compromised?

I'm usually the only one who has physical access to this machine. I'm probably going to backup and reinstall; but wanted to see if there are other things to consider next time around.

Thanks

Last edited by IronForge; 27th October 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Grammar, typos - distracted from stepping away from desk often
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
I noticed that OBSD's version of Gnome doesn't carry the system monitoring tools that graphically display the processes, cpu/network/memory usage, etc. Do OBSD use other tools?
Perhaps someone else will chime in. I don't use GNOME.

You may also want to familiarize yourself with the command-line alternatives which are much richer in output -- top(1), netstat(1), etc.
Quote:
As for other Window Managers such as GNUStep, XFCE, WindowMaker (not a KDE user at the present; but presume they have some) are there any similar tools for them?
I believe WindowMaker has one available, but I don't know the name. Two others used on minimal environments are conky & gkrellm. I use gkrellm with fluxbox and/or cwm(1).
Quote:
While browsing the web at night, noticed that the hard drive would 'spool up' and engage for a few good minutes.
See daily(8) & check your crontab to see that it is enabled.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks a million, ocicat. I'll read up on these.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2009
Banned

There are many utilities in the base system for monitoring system resources, ocicat named a few.. but if you like top(1), you'll most definitely enjoy systat(1).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
My favorite as well. Type systat as supper user and then use lelf and right arrow to go through pages of useful information. For instance the sweetest tool for monitoring package filter goes something like this.

Code:
# systat pf 1
Then use left and right arrow to flip pages.