DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2009
Package Pilot

Default MacBook Pro support

I just got a MacBook Pro this year as a Christmas gift and I was wondering if the new ones have success with recent OpenBSD releases (preferably the latest one) before I try to do an install.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
./dev/null

Yes i have had much success with OpenBSD on macbook's, i usually PXE boot my installer and grab the files from my local FTP, i recall booting off an install cd but the Mac EFI seemed to boot up REALLY slow (ok 30 secs isn't REALLY slow but)

Try the i386 version first, and get a list of the Mac commands, like holding down the C to boot from the CDROM, or space bar to force eject of CDROM, they come in real handy.

I did not get a chance to create a dual boot with MacOS and OpenBSD, if you are thinking about that, better off get VMWare Fusion 3 (nice as smooth version 3 is) and install OpenBSD into that, i would prefer a bare metal install myself, and MacOS in a virtual machine

If VMWare Fusion is not an option (cost?) then i would really recommend a bare metal install.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Package Pilot

Okay, thanks. I want to wipe the HDD and install OpenBSD over OSX. I'm used to i386 and I've never had a Mac before, so is the hardware architecture very different? Would the macppc platform of OpenBSD work on my MacBook Pro even though mine is the newest one that came out from Apple? Also the processor is 64-bit so I'm not sure if amd64 is the best option either. I hope the wireless card works and everything..
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Banned

I got OpenBSD 4.6 running on Leopard with Virtual Box so I can use both OS X and OpenBSD concurrently! That's one option and the install process is crazy easy.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscn View Post
Okay, thanks. I want to wipe the HDD and install OpenBSD over OSX. I'm used to i386 and I've never had a Mac before, so is the hardware architecture very different? Would the macppc platform of OpenBSD work on my MacBook Pro even though mine is the newest one that came out from Apple? Also the processor is 64-bit so I'm not sure if amd64 is the best option either. I hope the wireless card works and everything..
The latest Mac systems are based on Intel's Core 2 Duo, an x86 processor.. with traditional x86 hardware, except no legacy PS/2 keyboard or mouse (..i.e: no boot console).. it will NOT work with the macppc port, that is based on IBM's PowerPC architecture.

You can use the amd64 port, this is the 64-bit version of x86 that was first released by AMD.. Intel supports these extensions in later processors, including the one that ships in the Intel Macs.

The installation procedure on the Mac is different though, you must locate a guide or tutorial related to installing alternative OS's... otherwise you'll probably end up with a non-bootable system.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Package Pilot

Is it because Macbooks do not have a BIOS in the mobo? I'm so used to just popping in the CD and wiping the entire HDD to install OpenBSD over all of it
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th December 2009
Banned

Intel Macs use EFI instead of legacy BIOS booting, however.. a basic legacy module is provided (..emulated BIOS) so you can boot and install traditional x86 operating systems.

Booting the OpenBSD CDROM is one thing, properly partitioning the disk so that it's bootable.. that's something you'll have to research, many people have posted success stories on the mailing lists and whatnot, no doubt some googleable tutorials exist.

Have fun.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Banned

I just took out my OpenBSD install on Sun's Virtual Box. I hear there are a lot of horror stories. I didn't use it long before it was clearly buggy.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2009
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Intel Macs use EFI instead of legacy BIOS booting, however.. a basic legacy module is provided (..emulated BIOS) so you can boot and install traditional x86 operating systems.

Booting the OpenBSD CDROM is one thing, properly partitioning the disk so that it's bootable.. that's something you'll have to research, many people have posted success stories on the mailing lists and whatnot, no doubt some googleable tutorials exist.

Have fun.
Errr...never mind, I just had to wait like 30 seconds as there0 mentioned...I thought it was frozen, ha.

Why does my 1.7 gHZ Pentium M processor boot OBSD twice as fast as my 2.33 gHZ Core 2 Duo?

Last edited by guitarscn; 21st December 2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 21st December 2009
Banned

It has nothing to do with OpenBSD, as I said.. Macs use EFI + GPT partitioning, from what I can find.. you need to use a 3rd party boot loader.

http://refit.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_%28software%29

The closest guide I can find for you is for NetBSD.

http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install...ook_w/core2duo

Your best bet is to send an email to the mailing lists, there have been successful installation reports on the mailing lists.. someone may know the procedure.
Old 21st December 2009
./dev/null

Try to get it booted up (slowly) without any partition managers, i have found them to be quite unbearable and ready to create havoc, although a reinstall of OpenBSD does not take that long.

If you don't mind waiting a bit longer to boot, stick with the regular EFI that comes with your Macbook, if your feeling brave go ahead and try out some boot managers, plz post any success or horror stories i would be interested in the outcome.

The MacPPC build will not work with the newer intel cpu/chipset Macbooks, give a try to the i386 and amd64 builds im sure you will like
./dev/null

You can actually try installing OpenBSD to a USB drive or external USB/SDCard adaptor first and see if it runs to your liking.

When you trash the hard disk make sure you pick WHOLE disk and then edit partitions accordingly, i do not reacall having problems booting the hard disk up after installing, but you never know ...

I think you hold down the APPLE (command) key to show the boot menu or maybe SHIFT + APPLE keys?

http://guides.macrumors.com/Keyboard_shortcuts
*IF* you want to try a boot manager try this guy out http://refit.sourceforge.net/
./dev/null

I guess it's the OPTION key holding down while booting to show the boot menu (if you install unto USB drive to test first or something)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1533