DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2010
New User

Default Xorg 1.6.5 on OBSD 4.7 segfaults. :(

So I kind of have a tiny bit of a _huge_ freaking problem. I've recently installed OBSD 4.6 on a P3 with 755MHz CPU, 128Mb RAM, P3V4X mainboard, and S3Virge graphics card. Everything went all fun and night skies until I tried to start up xdm, at which point it decided that it hates me, segfaulted, and in the process Jihaded the entire OS. :/ I tried using different drivers (s3, s3virge, and vesa) with the same results. When SSH-ing into the box and running X from there I managed to find out that it actually segfaults, but nothing more than that. I'm kind of at my wit's end round about now with _no_ clue as to how to continue with this. Which sucks since I kind of wanted to have the computer done last week already.
I've gotten _some_ logs in the mean time, but nothing that seems to help. Could anybody help me out?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2010
More noise than signal

It is not clear if you are running 4.6 or 4.7. You mention both.

Post the output of dmesg(8), which will confirm what release you are running, and your physical configuration.

Post a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log -- which should show what gets configured, and what module is segfaulting.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2010
New User

I apologize, I kind of tend to be horribly bad at keeping things straight.
So to recap in a _hopefully_ clearer way. I started out with 4.6. However when I had problems with that and no success in fixing it I decided to try with 4.7 to see whether that might not "magically" fix the problem (it was worth a shot *shrug*). So currently I'm running 4.7. I'll just quickly have to check whether I have 4.7's dmesg since I don't have the box in close spacial proximity, or in a working state for that matter... Quick thought however. The setup of 4.6 and 4.7 are kind of identical, and the error given and things are also identical. So shouldn't the dmesg output be functionally equivalent? Not to say that I'm too lazy to actually fetch the box since I'm planning on trying to get it to work again. But yeah, I'm kind of wondering out of curiosity and interest.

A note on Xorg.0.log however, sometimes the server seems to segfault _before_ anything gets written to the file. :/ Which has made my life _significantly_ less pleasing.

Anyways, I'll be getting the box in a bit and I'll post the required files (yeah I'm hopelessly unorganized).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
So shouldn't the dmesg output be functionally equivalent?
There will be similarities, but post one, the other, or both. At this point, we do not have sufficient information to assess the situation.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2010
Banned

So to further clarify, did it worth in either 4.6 or 4.7? you didn't say.

Also, consider trying a recent 4.8-beta snapshot, what's in it will be fairly close to what actually ends up in the release.

Asking for help without providing any logs or generally useful data isn't really the wisest move to make, especially considering that some of us can't replicate your hardware configuration.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2010
New User

Okay so I've finally gotten the logs, sorry for not thinking about adding them from the beginning. I'm not certain why I forgot about doing that. But yeah, check the attachment. If you need more information just let me know. ^_^

BSDfan666, I unfortunately can't download 4.8-beta at this point in time since I'm kind of low on bandwidth. :/ But I'll look into it sometime when I'm doing better in that regard again.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 files.tar.bz2 (5.4 KB, 73 views)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2010
More noise than signal

I have looked through your dmesg and your Xorg log file. Things I have noted:
  • You were running 4.7-release/i386.
  • You are using your own xorg.conf file. Where did yours come from?
  • What happens when you use the OpenBSD default, with no xorg.conf?
  • You mentioned xdm as a failure vector. Does X work without xdm?
While I found nothing in the misc@ mailing list archives matching this, I did find an open bug that seems to match it.

See http://cvs.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/query...s&numbers=6392 -- and note the request for backtrace information from developer Owain Ainsworth. His Email address is in there, too.

Before contacting him....

Here is a link to the README for Xenocara, OpenBSD's packaging of Xorg software. How to get a crash dump is shown at the bottom of the README file: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/xenocara/README?rev=1.26;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=OPENBSD_4_7_BASE

Working with the crashdump to get the backtrace is discussed in the crash(8) man page.

If this is too much work, try a 4.8-beta snapshot. It is possible your problem may have been fixed -- this bug does not have enough information to confirm it closed.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2010
New User

Yes, I installed 4.7 in the hopes that the problem in 4.6 was fixed. I didn't actually know that there is a 4.8-beta out at the time. It did help a slight bit since I actually got error logs and the computer didn't _completely_ freeze up.

The xorg.conf file used there was generated with X -configure. I tried that after the default didn't work.

Running just X (as apposed to xdm) also segfaults. In my inexperienced opinion, I think it's the X server itself that segfaults.

Okay, so I should email him the crash dump, along with the dmesg? And I don't mind the work really, as long as I learn something. Since most of the work I've been putting in so far hasn't been useful for the learning part it's been kind frustrating. But yeah, I'll try that and see if it helps to get things working.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2010
More noise than signal

my recommendations. 1) Grab the latest snapshot (which is 4.8-beta). It is always better to work with development code, rather than release, to help with debugging. 2) If the problem recurs, 3) grab a crash dump, 4) make a back trace, and send 5) the snapshot's dmesg, 6) xorg.0.log, and 7) back trace to Owain, referencing bug 6392, as your symptom is the same.
Old 5th August 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I unfortunately can't download 4.8-beta at this point in time since I'm kind of low on bandwidth.
Have you tried your local public library? With luck they may have computers with Internet access and USB ports.
Old 6th August 2010
New User

jggimi, like I mentioned earlier I unfortunately can't get the latest release since I'm out of bandwidth and I don't have enough money to get more. Wouldn't it be okay to just give him the crash dump of 4.7? If that won't help I'll just see about figuring out a way to work around the problem somehow. At least temporarily.

ldOp, libraries around here don't tend to have internet, and if they do they tend to be prohibitively expensive. The one internet cafe that isn't that expensive is still a slight bit out of my price reach when it comes to anything more than checking mail and the occasional forum. :/ I kind of live in an ass-backwards country unfortunately.
Old 6th August 2010
Banned

Internet connectivity is arguably a requirement when trying to help diagnose problems efficiently, hunting down bugs in older software releases without first trying the latest code only serves to reduce time spent solving other problems.

If you have already exceeded your cap by the 5th of the month, you are being severely deprived by your ISP.

Until you can install a snapshot, you could try another video card, if you own any.
Old 6th August 2010
More noise than signal

There is not a developer I know of who would accept a crash dump.

You are lucky, having only 128MB of RAM, for the size of your RAM is the size of a crash dump -- and that is why they don't want them.

Too big.
Old 7th August 2010
New User

BSDFan666, I suppose it is kind of pointless. I suppose I'll just try something else in the mean time.
Well my cap actually started beginning of last month and ends at the end of this month. But yeah, internet is _horrible_ around here. :/

jggimi, I actually meant the dump created by the crash program, and/or X's core dump. That's only 1.4MB if I remember correctly.