DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Opera Port - conflicting pkgs in "make install"

This is a little off topic from the "Opera on qemu" thread, so here it goes....

After I rebuilt my OS from a recent snapshot, upgraded src,ports, and xenocara, and "-uvi'd my packages, I tried to "make install" Opera via the Port system, as described in the FAQ
http://openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#flashplugin

The Opera Browser is built (it's loads pages really fast, yet freezes often; but that's life - anything else I can do here?); but I can't "make install the flash-plugin due a conflicting package - per the Terminal output:

# cd /usr/ports/www/opera-flashplugin
#
# make install

===> opera-flashplugin-7.0r68p0 depends on: fedora_motif-* - not found
===> Verifying install for fedora_motif-* in emulators/fedora/motif
===> Checking files for fedora_motif-2.1.30p0
`/usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/openmotif21-2.1.30-14.i386.rpm' is up to date.
>> (SHA256) rpm/openmotif21-2.1.30-14.i386.rpm: OK
===> fedora_motif-2.1.30p0 depends on: rpm->=3.0.6p1 - not found
===> Verifying install for rpm->=3.0.6p1 in misc/rpm
===> Installing rpm-3.0.6p4 from /usr/ports/packages/i386/all/
Can't install rpm-3.0.6p4 because of conflicts (rpm2cpio-1.2)
/usr/sbin/pkg_add: rpm-3.0.6p4:Fatal error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/misc/rpm (line 1473 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/fedora/motif (line 1620 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/fedora/motif (line 2017 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/fedora/motif (line 1443 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/fedora/motif (line 1983 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/fedora/motif (line 1473 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/opera-flashplugin (line 1620 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/opera-flashplugin (line 1473 of /usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk).
#
# pkg_delete -iv rpm2cpio-1.2
Can't remove rpm2cpio-1.2 without also removing:
file-roller-2.24.3p9 gnome-session-2.24.3p19
Do you want details? [Y/n] y
Can't remove rpm2cpio-1.2 without also removing:
file-roller-2.24.3p9 gnome-session-2.24.3p19
Do you want to remove them as well? [y/N]

I performed an install of FEDORA_BASE a few months ago. Looks like updating may have caused a temporary glitch on dependencies of packages.

Which steps should I take to work around this?

Thanks

Last edited by IronForge; 8th October 2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: clarification on referential thread
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2009
More noise than signal

The Opera flash plugin port is not as useful as it once was, as it is limited to Flash 7, and flash websites all seem to be beyond that. The only things left in Flash 7 seem to be annoying adverts.

If you wish, you can force the installation of rpm, so that both rpm and rpm2cpio are installed. See the -F option of the pkg_add(1) man page. Note also that this may cause problems when you pkg_delete(1), as the rpm* package that remains installed will be damaged.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Default Here's a "bonehead" question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The Opera flash plugin port is not as useful as it once was, as it is limited to Flash 7, and flash websites all seem to be beyond that. The only things left in Flash 7 seem to be annoying adverts.

If you wish, you can force the installation of rpm, so that both rpm and rpm2cpio are installed. See the -F option of the pkg_add(1) man page. Note also that this may cause problems when you pkg_delete(1), as the rpm* package that remains installed will be damaged.
I'm a bit distracted now - juggling a few things - so I'm working off of my short/med term memory here.

Q1: Since I've installed Fedora_base, would it be possible for us to install a Fedora version of Opera 10 and its flash-plugins under emul/linux? If so, can a howto demo be written up here? Thanks.

These question digress the thread into the "How can I use the fedora-base pkgs" realm...

From what I recall, installing fedora-base allows us to run Linux apps; but outside of installation instructions, I don't recall seeing a "howto" displaying an actual pkg/app installation example.

I'm aware of this project's goals; but one of *BSDs' selling points was that it can run Linux apps - better/faster than native Linux distros on occasion. Just looking to see if we can bring in a few conveniences (I'm tired of Dual-Booting ), like flash and Virtualbox, for example.

Q2: Provided that it can be done, would one install/run RPM to install packages under emul/linux here on OBSD?
Q2B: Would we rely on Fedora-base packages' libraries or do we use an app like yum to check with fedora foundation's repositories to keep our linux libraries up to date?

Or, since there appears to be a lack of interest in porting non-native packages via emulation, would it be expedient to just install a small linux distro under qemu - as suggested by lvlamb?

Thanks in advance
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2009
More noise than signal

Start by reading compat_linux(8). Carefully. -You- will be responsible for obtaining and "installing" required dynamic libraries for any Linux binary you bring to OpenBSD/i386.

I would think that if a more modern version of Opera were easy to run under Linux emulation, you'd have seen it in the ports tree. Remember, Opera is closed source. There may be a "port" but it is a binary port, only because Opera licensing precludes binary distribution outside their control.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
I'm a bit distracted now - juggling a few things - so I'm working off of my short/med term memory here.

Q1: Since I've installed Fedora_base, would it be possible for us to install a Fedora version of Opera 10 and its flash-plugins under emul/linux? If so, can a howto demo be written up here? Thanks.
Opera 10 in current ports tree. Update to current if you want to use Opera 10. It should not be difficult to install it on 4.6 release as well.
Flash is different story. There are couple unofficial versions of Flash 9, even 10 for OpenBSD which are floating around the net but it is safe to say that
Flash 10 doesn't work properly on OpenBSD. You best bet is swfdec which
works very well with Firefox for lots of popular web-sites.

Quote:
From what I recall, installing fedora-base allows us to run Linux apps; but outside of installation instructions, I don't recall seeing a "howto" displaying an actual pkg/app installation example.
man compat_linux

Quote:
I'm aware of this project's goals; but one of *BSDs' selling points was that it can run Linux apps - better/faster than native Linux distros on occasion. Just looking to see if we can bring in a few conveniences (I'm tired of Dual-Booting ), like flash and Virtualbox, for example.
That pile of crap you could read only in FreeBSD handbook section about Linux binary emulation. OpenBSD compatibility layer for Linux is all but dead. We (users of OpenBSD) run OpenBSD because of its own tolls. Personally the only large peace of software I use develop by Linux people is
Sane-backends and MPlayer. Everything else on my computer is old school Unix.

Quote:
Or, since there appears to be a lack of interest in porting non-native packages via emulation, would it be expedient to just install a small linux distro under qemu - as suggested by lvlamb?
Qemu is very sloooow. You need Kqemu accelerator which requires loadable kernel module. That kernel module pose a security risk. Assuming that you are willing to accept that risk you should take the following into consideration. Qemu is for all practical purposes non-usable AMD64 (OpenBSD amd64 is honest 64 bit operating system and can not run 32 binaries). Qemu also doesn't run on bsd.mp (bsd starting from4.6) kernel.
Assuming that you are willing to run bsd.sp kernel you could install some small Linux version in Qemu and make a limited use. I for instance was doing that as the web-site of my insurance company did require flash 10 for my insurance information to be displayed.

Other than that Linux inside Qemu was useless. Qemu has limited support for sound so you will not be able to hear the sound from stations delivering
TV or radio program in the Flash container. Skype is also useless for VoIP so if you are using it only for chat you may as well install Skype via linux compatibility layer.

Cheers,
OKO
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2009
More noise than signal

@Oko: thanks for the Opera 10 -current news. I run -current, but not Opera, so I was unaware.