DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 18th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
It works for me on i386-current, after patching nss, using the revised patches for nspr, and patching sqlite3, and revising gettext also.
While it is good to know that the information posted to ports@ appears to work, it should be noted that that this submission has yet to be checked into the ports tree.

Anyone who is salivating over Firefox 3 should note that this work is only intended for users of 4.3-current & not those running 4.3-stable or 4.3-release. More details on why mixing flavors is not recommended can be found in Section 15.4.1 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#NoFun

Last edited by ocicat; 18th June 2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 18th June 2008
Banned

I know that's how it's been, but am I the only one who is a little steamed at the fact that 4.3 was released less then 2 months ago and we won't be able to get Firefox 3?

Seems like $50 is a lot of money to spend every 6 months to have what we paid for become obsolete in a month or two.

It's definitely a pickle, I surely can't go to -current atm, I'm not brave enough for such a journey..
Old 18th June 2008
More noise than signal

I don't see anywhere in the Project Goals "satisfy end-users of OpenBSD on workstations who don't or won't run -current with the latest shiniest versions of applications they like." As a matter of fact, users are only mentioned in the goals as being able to have access to the OS source code.

We users are not the "target market." If any market exists at all, it is the 90 or so OpenBSD developers. We're just lucky to have access to their work.

That $50 (plus shipping, don't forget shipping) is a donation. OpenBSD is free to anyone with Internet access. I run -current on my platforms, yet I donate money to obtain the CDs, merely because I want to donate to help fund power and cooling for Theo's basement, and I think the artwork is cute.

-release is just another snapshot, technically. The big differences:
  • -release gets "tagged" in the CVS repositories
  • It gets about two months of testing, making it more robust than other snapshots.
  • Ports/packages are synced to it.
For years, "-stable" packages were created for known security (and security only) bugs in 3rd party applications. The Project, about 14 months ago if I remember correctly, abandoned this work due to their limited resources. We users might run only one or two architectures, but the Project supports seventeen.
Old 18th June 2008
More noise than signal

This horse isn't quite dead, so I'm going to whack at it another time:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
...it should be noted that that this submission has yet to be checked into the ports tree...
Nor will it be committed for a while. In his initial posting of the update diffs, Martynas described 3 unresolved problems and said:
Quote:
This is a work-in-progress.
I believe him.
Old 18th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
...am I the only one who is a little steamed at the fact that 4.3 was released less then 2 months ago and we won't be able to get Firefox 3?
You're getting ahead of yourself. Firefox 3 isn't even officially available to users of -current yet.
Quote:
Seems like $50 is a lot of money to spend every 6 months to have what we paid for become obsolete in a month or two.
Considering the time experienced developers are putting into a quality product, $50/six months is a pittance.
Old 18th June 2008
Arp Constable

$50 is actually pretty cheap when you consider the price of commercial operating systems, heck my wireless router probably costs more then an OpenBSD CD would.

Not to mention that Windows XP/Vista install disks are almost outdated before they get off the disk making machinery ;-)

I've always installed OpenBSD via boot disk and FTP. I'm very grateful that they make binaries available so I don't have to resort to a 4.x BSD source install style of setting things up!!!

Like jggimi said, releases are basically a snapshot with better testing and longer support life.

The actual code base is always changing, always evolving, which is why last months snapshot of -CURRENT on may 1st @ 2100Z ain't garrenteed to be the same as a snapshot of -CURRENT taken tonight at 1600Z.

If I had $50 when I setup my OpenBSD machine, I would've placed an order for the upcoming 4.0 Release, I would nab the disk set just to say thank you to the developers for creating such a great system.

If we don't want to wait on their work to get done and make it's way to us easy, well we best get off our duff and go help them ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
This horse isn't quite dead, so I'm going to whack at it another time

very nice choice of words lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 18th June 2008
Banned

Right, ignore me.

A donation, not a purchase... I probably won't be able to make any more *donations*, to darn expensive and there are no guarantees. (Stickers aren't my thing either..).

It's HTTP mirrors in November for me..
Old 19th June 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
15.4.2 - The latest version of my Top-Favorite-Software is not available!

If you are using a release or stable version of OpenBSD, you will not find any package updates until the next release, or until security issues occur which justify an update of the port in the -stable branch, and of the corresponding package.
Note: the FAQ has not been changed, but as I stated above, -stable ports for security fixes are not being developed and maintained at this time. There have been recent discussions about restarting such a service, but even if it restarts, it will not be to deploy the new functionality you desire.
Old 2nd July 2008
More noise than signal

Default FF3 still expermental, not even in -current tree

By jggimi
Special Report to the OpenBSD Times

All the news that gives us fits.

KITCHEN TABLE, 2300 LOCAL TIME, 30 JUNE 2008 -- The laptop sputtered, and hummed, but the well-known Internet browser, FireFox 3, refused to start. "Segfaulted again," mumbled the laptop's user, who asked that his identity not be revealed. "Why? All I did was upgrade to yesterday's snapshot. I haven't touched a package. Thunderbird has been hanging all week, too, and that didn't change."

It is not known how many -current users have been experimenting with the development version of the OpenBSD port of FireFox. What is known is that this wildly popular application requires a great deal of supporting mozilla infrastructure, such as XUL, NSS, and NSPR. The relationships between them are too complex to describe simply as, "dependent."

A self-described work-in-progress, the FireFox 3 port and some related dependent ports have been available from mailing list archives for several weeks. They remain uncommitted to the tree. But the allure is undeniable. "FF3 is so shiny and new," said the laptop's user, "I absolutely had to have it right away. It worked for about ten days, and that was great. Then it suddenly stopped last night. Right after I upgraded. I wonder why?"

Interviewing this laptop user, I learned that he, like many -current users, take advantage of "snapshot packages." These are tools of convenience that are not guaranteed to work, or even install, as they are not synchronized with any particular snapshot. The Following -current FAQ does not discuss them; the formal method to ensure synchronization is to build all 3rd party packages from a synchronized ports tree. But the snapshot packages work ... most of the time.

The laptop user described a diagnosis and resolution which took another 24 hours. "I think it was xulrunner. I ran gdb with thunderbird-bin, and saw segfaults there which didn't appear on console or in core files. So I rebuilt xulrunner, and then spent a few hours rebuilding t-bird and FF ports too."

Did he learn anything? He says, "When I install the next snap, I'll probably have to rebuild these again. But I'll have to wait and see."
Old 2nd July 2008
Banned

Firefox 3 will be a future thing...

Mozilla is *still* maintaining Firefox 2x, with 2.0.0.15 being released yesterday.
  • MFSA 2008-33 Crash and remote code execution in block reflow
  • MFSA 2008-32 Remote site run as local file via Windows URL shortcut
  • MFSA 2008-31 Peer-trusted certs can use alt names to spoof
  • MFSA 2008-30 File location URL in directory listings not escaped properly
  • MFSA 2008-29 Faulty .properties file results in uninitialized memory being used
  • MFSA 2008-28 Arbitrary socket connections with Java LiveConnect on Mac OS X
  • MFSA 2008-27 Arbitrary file upload via originalTarget and DOM Range
  • MFSA 2008-25 Arbitrary code execution in mozIJSSubScriptLoader.loadSubScript()
  • MFSA 2008-24 Chrome script loading from fastload file
  • MFSA 2008-23 Signed JAR tampering
  • MFSA 2008-22 XSS through JavaScript same-origin violation
  • MFSA 2008-21 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:1.8.1.15)
I managed to compile 2.0.0.15 on OpenBSD 4.3, if anyone wants a package... I can also give my Makefiles, sadly the build required some manual intervention near the "xpcshell" linking. (For some reason, -L/usr/X11R6/lib was missing..).

Anyway, send me a PM and I'll set you up... Firefox 2.0.0.15 is working fine.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 2nd July 2008 at 03:01 PM.