DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd December 2008
Complete BSD nubcake

Default Compaq Proliant 1850R array setup issue

Hi all,

I recently acquired an old Compaq Proliant 1850R that I plan to use as a FreeBSD webserver. It came with a Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller which is connected to the 4-disk backplane which has 4x 18.2 GB SCSI drives ready to go.

My problem is that I cannot seem to configure the disk array. I have done some research online and found that I need to run HP/Compaq's "SmartSetup" software. People have said they preferred to use 4.x and another article I read said he was able to accomplish the task with 5.5.0 (5.5.0 is the oldest version on HP's FTP server.

My problem is that the original CD drive is going bad. I have always had to use a standard 5.25" CD drive to load software in, but for some reason whenever I try and load this SmartSetup CD with the 5.25" CD drive it comes back with "This is not a system disk, press any key to try again" (Well, not the exact words, but something to that effect... I'm not at that computer right now.)

However, if I try to use the original CD drive, it'll show the Compaq SmartSetup splash screen.. but since it is going bad it doesn't load any data, so it just stops there and will not continue further. (Sometimes the original CD drive will produce the "system disk error", which I can attribute to its going bad.)

I'd try swapping out the original CD drive with a new one but I don't have any laying around at home or at work that I could use to get this thing going.

So, I've come here, hoping that a few of you have dealt with Proliant 1850Rs in the past and can offer me some assistance.

I'd like confirmation of the version of SmartSetup to use.
And how can I make it boot from the non-original CD drive? I couldn't seem to find a way to get into anything remotely like BIOS that you'd see on a standard desktop PC.

Thank you all for your time.