DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Shell Scout

Default Desperate help needed for KDE

Hi everyone
After booting into FreeBSD, I have encountered the following error when I start kde:
Code:
Could not read network connection list.
/home/disappearedng/.DCOPserver_.lan__0

Please check that the "dcopserver program is running
I have looked up google and have done the following
1) login as root, and startkde (still same error)
2) renamed ~/.kde to ~/.kde.bak so that when kde starts it builds a new config (still the same error)
3) chmod -R 777 ~/.kde
3) went to /tmp and deleted everything that has to do with my username and and anything that has to do with .ICE

However, after doing all that, I am still stuck with the same problem.

So I am convinced that I want to upgrade to a newer version of kde(i am running 3.5). and I want to preserve all the programs that I have installed on my system. How do I do that? Do i have to reinstall everything again?

In addition, Is there a "repair" function that I could do to repair my kde right now??
Thx
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

It might sound stupid (or be), but have you tried to run dcopserver from console (idk what the hell is that, and if you can run it, but it's worth to try)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Shell Scout

Default :

How do I start it?

If you are referring to the command
#dcopserver

this is what I get
Code:
/usr/local/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/disappearedng/.ICEaut
hority
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopKBfbsS:1:  bad "add" command line
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopKBfbsS:2:  bad "add" command line
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None
 of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authenti
cation failed
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None
 of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authenti
cation failed
DCOPServer self-test failed.
ICE Connection rejected!

iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/disappearedng/.ICEauthority
I have tried
#dcopserver_shutdown
then
#dcopserver

The message remains the same.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2008
Arp Constable

Default dcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by killasmurf View Post
It might sound stupid (or be), but have you tried to run dcopserver from console (idk what the hell is that, and if you can run it, but it's worth to try)

dcop is a desktop communication protocol that uses the Inter Client Exchange (ICE) protocol and sockets for interprocess communication.

A full KDE session runs a dcop server that basically receives messages and forwards them to interested dcop clients -> kde applications usually.

looking in the iceauth manual page, which is pretty crappy even for X. I'm rather interested in the contents of the temp files that decop is feeding to it, e.g. dcopKBfbsS in the last post.

because it seems that either iceauth is failing to authenticate or dcop is feeding it garbarge, which would probably mean the dcopserver is getting insane but valid input.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Shell Scout

I looked up dcopKBfbsS and it's not there;
To update this problem, here are my logfiles from standard error:

from #dcopserver
Code:
/usr/local/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/disappearedng/.ICEauthority
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcop7TVqL1:1:  bad "add" command line
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcop7TVqL1:2:  bad "add" command line
DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ICE Connection rejected!

from #startx
Code:
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/disappearedng/.serverauth.747
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "home.lan" in "list" command
xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "home.lan" in "add" command

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE i386 
Current Operating System: FreeBSD home.lan  7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #5: Sun Jun 29 18:22:24 UTC 2008     root@.lan:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/miuky1 i386
Build Date: 13 February 2008  05:50:12PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jul 16 02:56:08 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
/usr/local/bin/iceauth:  creating new authority file /home/disappearedng/.ICEauthority
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopzL1hgT:1:  bad "add" command line
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopzL1hgT:2:  bad "add" command line
ICE Connection rejected!

ICE Connection rejected!

kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.
There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.
/home/disappearedng/.DCOPserver_home.lan __0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
Reusing existing ksycoca
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/zip'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-7z'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-7z'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/kpovmodeler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KPovModeler/Document'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'x-directory/gnome-default-handler'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'x-directory/normal'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-gnome-saved-search'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kfile_ooo.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kfile_ooo.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.math'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kchartpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart-template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kvoctrain'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kvtml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '.hidden/krita_magick.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xcf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/home/disappearedng/.local/share/applications/firefox3.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/mml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/kmid.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kformulapart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula-template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/sun-java16.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-java-archive'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klash_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/futuresplash'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/ktorrent.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-torrent'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/evince.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-bzpdf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/evince.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-gzpdf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/evince.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-bzpostscript'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/evince.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-bzeps'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/evince.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-gzeps'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ksvgplugin.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/svg'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/local/share/applications/kde/kexi.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kexiproject-sqlite'
startkde: Starting up...
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopW44YBp:1:  bad "add" command line
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcopW44YBp:2:  bad "add" command line
ICE Connection rejected!

ICE Connection rejected!

Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcoptM10d7:1:  bad "add" command line
/usr/local/bin/iceauth: /tmp/dcoptM10d7:2:  bad "add" command line
ICE Connection rejected!

ICE Connection rejected!

Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 3, should be 2; fixing.

xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "home.lan" in "remove" command
I tried to look up all the files mentioned in tmp and the /home/disappearedng/.ICEauthority file but they are all gone. Why is this so? Why is startx complaining about all the undefined mimetype/service things here?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Arp Constable

dcopKBfbsS should be a pseudo random file name, namely part of the file name is generated unique among temporary files and would ideally would have enough entropy to avoid pre-cognitive security problems (Sometimes

kbuildsycoca rebuilds a cache of data about the systems configuration, probably for kded.

The ICE connection has been refused

DCOPs test to make sure it is in a sane state is failing, hence it knows it can not provide the communications routing it was defined for and choses to abort rather then screw people over.

DCOP is a core service of KDE so kdeinit which is used to fork off processes while starting a kde session, so it makes sense for it to die loudly.

There is no /home/disappearedng/.DCOPserver_home.lan __0 file or it contains no valid connections because the connection was refused.

The kbuildsycoca warnings for the mime types would suggest that either they are not setup correctly or your syscoca is out of sync.

And the rest just pops a cork loudly since it can't properly execute a kde session, leaving X without much hope of being useful.

So... Out of curiosity:

0/ Have you ever had a working kde install on this install

0B/ if so, what has changed since it last worked?

1/ Is this purely local or is any element of your (if any) network at play? Such as having the home directory mounted over nfs, using an X Display that is not connected locally, blah blah, etc

2/ is it possible to use another window manager or does it too (or X) fail?

3/ Is your X.Org configuration valid.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
0/ Have you ever had a working kde install on this install
Yes. I have always had a working kde installed on this system and I have never had a failure login till now.
Quote:
0B/ if so, what has changed since it last worked?
Nothing much.

Quote:
1/ Is this purely local or is any element of your (if any) network at play? Such as having the home directory mounted over nfs, using an X Display that is not connected locally, blah blah, etc
I have tried login into root and starting kde through there. I still get the same error.
I checked
under /etc/fstab, everything is mounted as ufs except swap and my cdrom
Quote:
2/ is it possible to use another window manager or does it too (or X) fail?
X doesnt' fail. Startx alone allows me to log in to the original X desktop environment.
Quote:
3/ Is your X.Org configuration valid.
Yes since question 2 is satisfied.

I am wondering what is the fastest way to remove kde and reinstall the kde desktop environment. how big of a process will it be?
Will I have to reinstall all my applications such as ktorrent?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Nothing Much
Ah, so this means "something", no? Even if you do not think it important, what was changed?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
Arp Constable

Code:
# pkg_delete -x kde*
# pkg_add -r kde3 && xmessage "kde is ready"; rehash
Depending on net speed it would take awhile to download -- compiling from ports depending on your hardware speed.

On a pentium D 930/2gb of ddr2 I think the last time I built kde3 it still took hours.

Old 17th July 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Nothing Much.
I leave my computer on for the past 1 week and frankly I am really bad at remembering stuff like this lol.

If I follow the pkg_delete suggested above will that make all my graphical applications such as Ktorrent, Firefox Amule etc not function?

Thx for the response
Old 17th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

The only time I've seen this is with a system update. I had to portupgrade -afP. If a package is available that forces a reinstall of all installed ports from that package, otherwise it builds from the ports tree. You may wish to use batch mode and manually reinstall any failed ports.
Old 17th July 2008
Spam Deminer

I doubt that reinstalling of kde (from ports or pkg_add -r kde) will fix problem. If nothing have changed (you have not installed new ports/packages) then kde should work.

Is your hostname correct and reachable?

Also if problem is really in "system update" than it is much likely that kde and friends would stop working completely.
Old 17th July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
Is your hostname correct and reachable?
My guess is it is probably as simple as that.