DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Port Guard

Default How to set up ssh login

Hello. I have a DSL modem connected to the web all the time. I would like to connect remotetly. I had followed the documentation but so far every time the conection time out. What can I do?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Banned

Well, if you have an always-on connection and a system running 24/7... then, read the appropriate man pages and configuration files, ensure OpenSSH is running, (I advice you to disallow root logins..) and permit only SSHv2.

If you can confirm the daemon is running, you'll need a way to easily address your computer... if you have a domain delegated to you it's an easy task, afraid.org can get you a free one. (And clients exist to monitor changes to your IP address..).

Finally, if you bpf/ipfw configured... allow connections to tcp port 22.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Thank you

But I have spent countles hours reading and setting up the config files. The connection is 24/7 the IP is always the same.

I have:

1. added sshd_enable="YES" to the rc.conf and

2. when I check the daemon seems to be working

3. I have configured the ssh_config. To listen to the IP address, not to accept root login, to allow one specific user, etc....

Using my laptop I can login using ssh (inside my home network) But when I'm outside (office) I can't login using ssh. It times out. Can you give a list of all the files I should be configuring and maybe some samples. Maybe I'm missing a step. I promise you I have been doing my homework before I come to the forum to ask for help.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssgalactic View Post
but so far every time the conection time out
Sounds like you havent done port forwarding on the router
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Port forwarding

On the actual DSL router control panel?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Yes, you need to configure the router to forward port 22 to your freebsd machine.

Adam
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Arp Constable

the sshd server should listen on the local network (as necessary) on the designated port.

the router needs to forward incoming connections on the designated port to your external ip/domain to that machine.

Other wise generally, the router will tell anyone outside your home network to go to hell when trying to ssh in ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
the sshd server should listen on the local network (as necessary) on the designated port.

the router needs to forward incoming connections on the designated port to your external ip/domain to that machine.

Other wise generally, the router will tell anyone outside your home network to go to hell when trying to ssh in ;-)
Even if it doesn't (maybe it hasn't got any specific firewall and just runs PAT) it doesn't know which pc in the LAN to forward the traffic to.
Maybe you got 3-4 pc's there, how should the router know which one that incoming ssh-request is meant for.
So, as others have said, of course you need to forward that port on the router to the specific machine/port.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Package Pilot

It could be your router; It could be your work disallows connections on certain ports. For sure check your router config.
Fdisk Soldier

Once you get it working, it may be wise to change your port number. While security through obscurirty isn't security at all, it sure does seem to stop the bots from hammering away.
Old 26th June 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb74 View Post
Even if it doesn't (maybe it hasn't got any specific firewall and just runs PAT) it doesn't know which pc in the LAN to forward the traffic to.
Maybe you got 3-4 pc's there, how should the router know which one that incoming ssh-request is meant for.
So, as others have said, of course you need to forward that port on the router to the specific machine/port.

I thought that such issues would be considered implicitly with my previous post.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 28th June 2008
Port Guard

Talking

I now have established all the services I need ssh, ftp and http. Thank you very much. I'm feeling the love my FreeBSD Box.
Old 28th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssgalactic View Post
I now have established all the services I need ssh, ftp and http. Thank you very much. I'm feeling the love my FreeBSD Box.
Being able to ssh LAN from internet is great, isnt it? Do you feel like home now?