Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2011
Administrator

Default Cobol cabal will take over Australia

From http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...guage_to_know/

Quote:
All of the big four banks in Australia use Cobol, as well as 50 per cent of the tier two, all of the large insurers and 70 per cent of the second-line ones. Some 50 to 60 per cent of government agencies also use the language. But none of the young people coming into the industry seem to be learning it, or any of the other old languages, like Fortran or Delphi.

Kevin Francis of Object Consulting has said that those who do know how to use these older technologies are able to charge seemingly ludicrous rates.

Francis said: “I have seen examples of developers on older technologies like RPG and Delphi charging twice the rate of a developer on a newer technology.“
Maybe time to dust off your Delphi Developer docs and head for Australia
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2011
UNIX lover

>or any of the other old languages, like Fortran or Delphi.

Fortran ... I'm coming Australia
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2011
VPN Cryptographer

I was just getting read to throw away my Delphi 5 CD!! Guess I'll hang on to my Turbo Pascal manual too!

I hope they don't mind remote work....
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2011
Tcpdump Spy

It's not just Australia. I looked it up some time ago after a friend (a COBOL programmer) said it was still being used a lot, I didn't believe him at first but apparently there's a lot of COBOL code out there. "Billions and billions" of lines as Sagan would say

I always have to think of the Dijkstra quote: "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense.".
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st February 2011
Arp Constable

Somehow, I rather think that Java, JavaScript, and the mainstream .NET languages are rather the oldest younger monkies seem to be proficient in, there's an evilly common open source one in that mix that I will not foul this forum with the name of.

For some reason, I'm starting to feel strange for being accustomed to Perl and C :-/.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2011
VPN Cryptographer

This made me think of an old friend of mine. I Google'd and found him on LinkedIn. There he lists that he still works for the same bank as a COBOL programmer/analyst. When he was going to school for this, in the early '80s, I would make fun of him for taking COBOL cause it was so antiquated.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2011
Arp Constable

Bet he makes more than anyone else on this forum.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.