DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

Default Hello it's been awhile

Stumbled across this forum, and recognized some names from the old days. (Scotro, for one) Hi!

I remembered the old BSDForums.org site when I saw the name. Really miss that one. I think it ran on a server in the corner of a dry-cleaning business. Is that right? Always wondered what happened to the site, and its database, which would have had a zillion great posts in it. Can that be recovered? Doubt it.

Going to end my introduction with question. I have old machines that could be put online for various purposes, but they don't have bios USB-boot support. I happened across the "plop" boot kickstart program. Does anyone have any caveats or praises for it? Since it plays at the bottom of the stack, I haven't just "dropped it in".....
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by censored View Post
I remembered the old BSDForums.org site when I saw the name. Really miss that one. I think it ran on a server in the corner of a dry-cleaning business. Is that right?
I have no idea.
Quote:
Always wondered what happened to the site, and its database, which would have had a zillion great posts in it. Can that be recovered? Doubt it.
<history subject="BSDForums">

The maintainer of BSDForums did not give the Administrator's the ability to disable accounts or delete spam. Trickery was involved to move spam to a subsection not viewable by the general membership. While this made the forums appear clean, the Administrator's were in a constant battle which could not be won.

Plus, the maintainer hadn't logged into his account in years. When he was eventually tracked down by a few members here, he promised that he was going to do fix a number of things -- none of which ever materialized.

So, a campaign/coupe was launched to move the community to a different site where the Administrator's would have more control on how to deal with spam -- which was a very big problem at the time. This site is the direct descendent of the earlier BSDForums community.

As for the wealth of knowledge collected in the MySQL database underlying BSDForums, the Administrator's didn't have access to it, & given that the community simply abandoned that site, a reasonable guess is that the owner/maintainer simply deleted it. I'm sure he was not going to be particularly receptive to any request (then or now...) made to him.

</history>
Quote:
I have old machines that could be put online for various purposes, but they don't have bios USB-boot support. I happened across the "plop" boot kickstart program. Does anyone have any caveats or praises for it?
While I'm guessing that you are referring to FreeBSD usage here, it would be better for you to repost your question in the FreeBSD subforae where FreeBSD-types are more likely to see it. These misc/Off-Topic threads are not necessarily read by all members -- & possibly the ones who may have useful information regarding your question.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

Default tnx

Yes - it's starting to comeback to me now. Such a waste! I think when everyone ditched the old forum, I just went to other forums and skipped the empty one altogether. Then I tried several times to register for FreeBSD's new forum. Finally, they took the registration, but ... for a long time, they'd let me log in but not post anything. Couldn't factor it out. They've relented on the read-only status (unfortunately for them). :-)

No - the plop boot is not FreeBSD. It's a glorified boot block shim that has USB knowledge, so can boot USB media on old machines that don't have the cojones built into BIOS.

It's closed source, at the start of the boot chain, and I'm cautious...

And yes, this is not the place to ask. It's too obscure for there to be anyplace to ask.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2014
Administrator

Discussion specific to the Plop boot manager has been separated into its own thread found at the following:

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.p...9589#post49589

All comments/responses specific to options to booting regarding this boot manager should post to the above thread.

Thank you.