DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default How to Crash my FreeBSD server - run portsdb

So, in a vain attempt to upgrade Transmission I have utterly destroyed it instead. It's currently deinstalled, and when I try to install it from ports it get errors and when I try to install the package it downloads the tbz and just stops at that point.

Sigh.

So I figured I should try to learn more about updating ports, since obviously I blew it pretty badly. I was using the information here:

http://www.freebsdwiki.org/index.php/Portupgrade

to try and get everything up-to-date. Well, the issue I have is that when I run the portsbd -Uu command, it locks up my system. I'm not sure exactly at what point, it does start the process. I haven't done it from the console, just a SSH session from work. At some point after I issue the command and it starts the process, I lose all connectivity, and when I get home the box is unresponsive and I have nothing (no display, can't get Num Lock key to light on/off, etc.) and I have to power down manually.

So, I'm curious about how I've managed to destroy the Transmission port so effectively, and of course how I am breaking my machine by running portsdb. Are there specific log files to look into to dig a little deeper on this stuff?

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2008
Port Guard

You may have two separate issues.
0. Installing from ports fails because you have some cruft in tmp directories. Clean it up, just in case.
1. You have a hardware problem. Compiling is as good as stress test on hardware. Out-of-specs PSU, faulty RAM, dusty CPU cooler, dying HDD, etc.

BTW, what exactly are you trying to achieve running portsdb? You don't need to run it during routine updating/upgrading.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I thought it was a necessary part of the update process. Obviously I skimmed through documentation too quickly.

My concern is a hardware issue, too. Seeing as this is a frankenstein of my own building, I don't have any manufacturer's diagnostics CD to throw in and run. Any recommendations on hardware test ports for FreeBSD?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2008
Port Guard

Inspect inside of the box.
0. Make sure all radiators and cooling surfaces are clean.
1. Make sure there is a sane amount of thermal paste on CPU.
2. Run memtest, 12 h is minimum, longer is better. Some guy reported he got errors on seventh day!
3. Checking voltages with a multimeter won't hurt. Sensors cannot be trusted.
There may be a number of issues, bad HDD cable for instance.
Posting the error messages you get would help, too.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2008
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruco View Post
Well, the issue I have is that when I run the portsbd -Uu command, it locks up my system.
Using the -U option will build the ports INDEX file which can take a long time (and may be putting stress on your hardware). There is little reason to do this, though, since you can get a pre-made INDEX file online that is updated regularly.

To do this, use the -F option with portsdb instead. E.g.:
# portsdb -F
Or you could do:
# cd /usr/ports/ && make fetchindex
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Okay, thanks for the suggestions and info. At this point I am more convinced it is hardware than ever. Yesterday I tried again remotely to install the transmission port. Partway through I lost connectivity and when I got home I had to manually power down the box because it was locked up (no errors on screen or anything, either).

After I brought it back up I ran the install again, and it completed this time (not properly, I've really made a mess of ports it seems. But it did finish without locking up the box.) So there you have it - a random issue, which tells me hardware.

Ugh, I hate hardware problems more than anything.

I'll do what I can to clean up the guts of the thing (it's been running solid for a long time... although I did put another RAM chip in there a few months ago... hmm...) and run memtest. I'll also review the documentation on upgrading ports some more - obviously I haven't understood it properly so far.

I imagine the Transmission issue will have to wait until I figure out my hardware problem. Thanks again, to both of you!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2008
Knuth's homeboy

try some other port-upgrade tool like portmaster, it might work.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruco View Post
... although I did put another RAM chip in there a few months ago... hmm...
Right, I'd pull out that stick and see if problems are gone.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
try some other port-upgrade tool like portmaster, it might work.
I'm more than willing - but don't I have to be able to install the port in the first place? (Not a sarcastic question, if portmaster is also an installation tool then maybe it would help me out.)

I'll look it up.
Old 29th August 2008
Port Guard

I looked at the Wiki page you linked to and I'd take it with a grain of salt (as always, any Wiki may be helpful, but also misleading). Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I use csup command, not cvsup, for instance.
IMO, this is much more reliable source.
Old 29th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Hey, I'm all for old-fashioned if it works!

Is there anyway to sort of... I don't know, re-install the whole ports and packaging system? I think I may have really done some damage. For kicks I tried to install a different client (in this case deluge) through the pkg_add command - it appeared to finish (it's hard to follow, I have a HighPoint RAID management app installed and any time I install ANYTHING else I get dozens of "hptsvr-https-1.4 has no origin recorded" messages). But when I run it by typing "deluge" I got errors - as though it installed but something was wrong. So I tried to pkg_delete and it said the package wasn't installed.

Okay...

So I went to the port directory and did a make deinstall. It finished, and when I tried to run it it actually said not found. Well, that's better. Then I did a make install clean, and that eventually gives me a the same error as the transmission install that fails:

gmake: *** [libgiofam.la] Error 1
*** Error code 2

Ugh. Do I just need to get a list of installed ports and start uninstalling EVERYTHING and start from freaking scratch? 'Cause I'll do it if I have to!
Old 29th August 2008
Port Guard

Some lanes before this "Error 1" contain the actual problem, give us 10-20 of them.
Old 29th August 2008
Port Guard

Hey. Don't know what this transmission is, but does it really need FAM? Can't you build it without FAM support? What good does FAM in a server anyway?
Old 29th August 2008
Port Guard

OK, I'm sitting here and killing time, so I looked it up. Seems to be a GTK-based Bittorrent client. Wouldn't you be better off with some CLI client? Which runs as daemon, as MLDonkey? And can be controlled via web interface remotely? And you could toss that X from your server?
Old 30th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Well, I would toss the X from the server, but occasionally I do use Firefox on it.

However, the good news is I think I got it fixed! I had to deinstall and reinstall glib20. After that I was able to install transmission and it works. Phew, that was quite a struggle.

Of course, I still have to track down the hardware issue, but it's nice to at least have part of my issues resolved!

Thanks again for you help!
Old 1st September 2008
Port Guard

Why not use the good old portsnap

portsnap fetch extract

The first time, and from then on

portsnap fetch update

Easy as they come... and only 50MB the first time