DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2014
Port Guard

Post How I tried fooling OpenBSD

So I was trying to install mediawiki on my openBSD server (first in about 6 or 7 years since I last "tried"). A little bit of background... My only knowledge is from man pages or documentation supplied by the OS itself (not from webpages online), that too Linux (I know... don't fry me for it please). And hence, my jargon is also deeply misplaced; Apologies in advance for that.

I am running 5.6, php-fpm chrooted to /var/www, nginx and mysql.
Mediawiki web-install says
GNU diff3 not found
Git version control software not found

Mediawiki Defaultsettings.php file says it is looking for diff3 in /usr/bin/diff3

I did not know that you can't make hardlinks across partitions, which I learnt today. So I tried

1) making a softlink to /usr/bin/diff3 in /var/www/usr/bin/diff3 - no luck
2) making a softlink from /usr/bin diff3 to /var and then hardlinking the softlink to /var/www/usr/bin/diff3 - no luck
3) copying the diff3 file from /usr/bin to /var/www/usr/bin/diff3 and try running it from the path on shell prompt (using explicit path) to check whether it works. Worked on the shell prompt but not on web-install of mediawiki.

Assuming I was plain stupid on points no 1 & 2 and also assuming mediawiki isn't wrong, my question is:
Am I doing something drastically wrong here?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montie View Post
Am I doing something drastically wrong here?
Nothing drastic. In that, nothing you have done is irreversible.

You are merely trying to port an application to OpenBSD on your own, without deep knowledge of the application, or of OpenBSD. Newer users should generally try to stick to applications that have already been ported, if possible.

MediaWiki was removed from OpenBSD's ports tree last year in a group with other old, outdated and unmaintained software. See the comments in the log entry as to why this group of applications was removed from the tree.

Could you resuscitate it? Perhaps, if you started from the old port. But that also supposes a knowledge of OpenBSD's ports and packaging systems. FAQ 15 is a good starting point, but you'll also need both the Porter's Handbook and the Port Testing Guide.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
I am running 5.6, php-fpm chrooted to /var/www, nginx and mysql.
Mediawiki web-install says
GNU diff3 not found
Git version control software not found
GNU diff3 can be installed from packages.
Code:
# pkg_add gdiff
Looks like you might want git too.
Code:
# pkg_add git
Quote:
Mediawiki Defaultsettings.php file says it is looking for diff3 in /usr/bin/diff3
OpenBSD comes with a diff3 program, which is installed to /usr/bin/diff3. If you absolutely need GNU diff3 (which you might or might not) then you want to point Mediawiki Defaultsettings.php to /usr/local/bin/gdiff3.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2014
Port Guard

Thank you @jggimi - looks like I am way out of my depth here. Will RTFM for a few weeks and maybe, I'll get somewhere. I did not know mediawiki was in the ports tree.

@ibara - Yes I do need to add the GNU diff and not the diff3 from packages that I added. Will do the same and update.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2014
More noise than signal

At least ibara provided you with practical, immediate advice. I just pointed you to the base of the learning curve.

Part of the porting effort is applying knowledge of where-things-should-normally-be-located to the new application's configuration. The man page hier(7) lays out the standard OpenBSD filesystems hierarchy and can be of some help with that.

Finding out if an application has been discussed by the Project requires review of the applicable Project mailing list archives -- for third party applications, that's can be ports@ or misc@, and sometimes, even tech@. And then looking into prior commits, the ports-changes@ archive can be helpful, which is where I found the link I provided in my first reply above.

The Project's web interface to its CVS repositories is very helpful, as adjunct to using an AnonCVS mirror with cvs(1) to manage or maintain a working set of the ports tree (or leaf of the tree) from any point in history.

-----
Edited to add this CVS usage example:
-----
Code:
$ echo $CVSROOT
anoncvs@anoncvs3.usa.openbsd.org:/cvs
$ cd /tmp
$ cvs get -r OPENBSD_5_4 ports/www/mediawiki
cvs server: Updating ports/www/mediawiki
U ports/www/mediawiki/Makefile
U ports/www/mediawiki/distinfo
cvs server: Updating ports/www/mediawiki/patches
cvs server: Updating ports/www/mediawiki/pkg
U ports/www/mediawiki/pkg/DESCR
U ports/www/mediawiki/pkg/PLIST
U ports/www/mediawiki/pkg/README
$

Last edited by jggimi; 11th November 2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: clarity, added AnonCVS, added tagged CVS get example
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th November 2014
Port Guard

Thank you @ibara and @jggimi.

My problem was
-> Find a nice way to document stuff which my users (non-tech agricultural market research people) like. They surf Wikipedia a lot and are "fans".
-> Reduce email usage
-> Have versioning
-> Ability to upload files (pdf, doc, xls, ppt, jpg, gif, png)

Although, diff3 and git were "not found" (GNU diff didn't work either), I gathered MediaWiki is just another bulky PHP webapp with connectivity to a db. It didn't take long for things to get working (with the features I wanted). To be honest, I think it works out of the box like a charm.

As for doing things the right way, I have targeted Feb 2015 to start work on it (helping with porting after having a less than shallow understanding). I did subscribe to the mailing lists. Some of the discussions are as alien to my understanding, as probably "banana ripening procedure" would be to most of the guys on the mailing lists

Last edited by montie; 17th November 2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: punctuation
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2014
Port Guard

@montie, if you are not dead-set on mediawiki, you could look into installing dokuwiki.

It is in ports & packages already (although one version behind upstream) and works fine using the built-in httpd(8) and php 5.5 with opcache. It also doesn't require a DB but has all the featues you mentioned above.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2014
Port Guard

@mlesniewskister - looking into this tonight!

Damn, another night of no sleep
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlesniewskister View Post
@montie, if you are not dead-set on mediawiki, you could look into installing dokuwiki.

It is in ports & packages already (although one version behind upstream) and works fine using the built-in httpd(8) and php 5.5 with opcache. It also doesn't require a DB but has all the featues you mentioned above.
Dokuwiki has to be the best wiki EVER. Even has a plugin to make it look like mediawiki (yet to try it out) in case users are hung up on it. Thanks a ton.