DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2011
Package Pilot

Default buildworld-installworld for Jail?

I never done any of this before. I want to do this with a freebsd system already installed on my machine (FreeBSD 9.0 current). My plan is to creates some jails. In the pass I read about easy-jail but for the pass few days I read more about how people are doing this with make-buildworld, than make-installworld to a directory named jail.

My questions are:

1)
Should I install all of my programs first, like pf, apache, cherokee, perl, etc, before make-buildworld -- make-installworld .. than go to the jail directory and remove what is not needed using pkg_delete?

2)
Or should I add nothing but on a freshly installed system, than add the programs from inside the jail?

After all of the googling I done, this was not indicated in any of the threads I found. Also even buildworld-installworld for Jail is all new to me or just sinking in since I am finally ready to really try.

Thanks in advance for any info

PS: Since this is a current-OS and not an release I guest my buildworld would be sent to a directory than I can installworld only to a jail directory, so there no need to mergeworld... do that make since?

Last edited by sharris; 12th May 2011 at 08:10 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Package Pilot

Default So a little boot-camp, hey :)

Never-mind about my off-the-wall questions. Just because of "jails", all of the pieces I picked up over time has finally kick-in. Spring semester is now OVER! ... and I finally read this part of the handbook in its entirety. Now I understand most of what I been missing and the fun is about to begin. I actually learn more about programming ans OS's on-line than I did in the class room during the pass three years.

Have a nice day.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/...plication.html

Most is still out-dated but it's loud and CLEARER and is fun to read.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2011
KING

The handbook describes the manual by hand method of creating jails. This is very outdated. The ezjail port goes a long way to automate creating jails buts ezjail documentation is very sparse. The Qjail port has detailed documentation for the novice, and is light years ahead of ezjail.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
The Qjail port has detailed documentation for the novice, and is light years ahead of ezjail.
This is what I plan to use after all is said and done. Also, www.a1poweruser.com is the best. I can not build my bsd world over night. I got to work for a living. But when I need some the facts, that link comes FIRST. With out it I would have never did my first FreeBSD install. I read into it for many months, years ago as I dream of how-to some day. Now that I'm in it slightly, until than, I still keep up with the Jone's. Every little bit adds to the first idea.

jails without compiling make buildword or make installworld:

https://bitbucket.org/provonet/buildjail