DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Voip FreeBSD ( I need some informations )

Hello,

I am getting an soekris net5501-70 where I will install freebsd, and I will build my voip. I don't know how to build a voip because I never did one, and I am wondering which program should I use to set it up, I did a lot of googling and I found many programs, such as Asterisk or SER, but I still don't know the difference between either of them, and I am trying to understand how I am supposed to start to build it. I am still wondering which kind of phone I should use. For example, can I use a standard landline phone or do I have to use something else?

Thank you,

Sincerely

Pietro
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

i am using asterisk as PBX as it's quite simple to set up and get it working. for asterisk check their home page, they have plenty of documentation and tutorials and a great community which is willing to help.

if you want asterisk up and running first of all update your ports tree and the you can install asterisk (/usr/ports/net/asterisk).

Quote:
I am still wondering which kind of phone I should use. For example, can I use a standard landline phone or do I have to use something else?
hmm, that depends. if you have a standard landline phone you will need an ATA device to connect it to your network. If you want to change all of your phones to IP phones i'd go with Linksys SPA 942 which are cheap and reliable (as far as i've seen).
you can also use SoftPhones (software that acts like a phone). the one i use and i'm very pleased with it is X-Lite. Very easy to install / configure.

i'd suggest you to read about VoIP a little - what protocols is this technology using, read about those protocols, read about asterisk and after all this give it a shot & of course post back if you need more help.

/v
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx View Post
hmm, that depends. if you have a standard landline phone you will need an ATA device to connect it to your network.
uhm, this is not exactly what I want, I already have an ATA device Lynksys ATA 2102, with this I dont need any other device like soekris .. I am getting the soekris, and it has an SIP card built in, and I am still wondering how to configure the SIP card to make it work with the phone, and which phone should I use..

Quote:
you can also use SoftPhones (software that acts like a phone). the one i use and i'm very pleased with it is X-Lite. Very easy to install / configure.
I don't need other software or I dunno, I just want to figure out how to configure the SIP card to work with the phone ..

Quote:
i'd suggest you to read about VoIP a little - what protocols is this technology using, read about those protocols, read about asterisk and after all this give it a shot & of course post back if you need more help.
Yes, you right, I should read something about voip, because I am very interested about, and if you have something to suggest me to read, I would love that .. Thanks for your help ...

bye

Last edited by bsduser; 9th June 2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: made mistake
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
I am getting the soekris, and it has an SIP card built in, and I am still wondering how to configure the SIP card to make it work with the phone, and which phone should I use..
ca you provide more info about that soekris and SIP card, cause i have never seen this kind of computer and/or SIP card. if you'll give me more info i'll google it.

Quote:
Yes, you right, I should read something about voip, because I am very interested about, and if you have something to suggest me to read, I would love that ..
voip-info wiki is definately a good place to start. You'll find everything you need there. And from that wiki you'll be pointed to related resources.

Quote:
Thanks for your help ...
you welcome.

/v
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
ca you provide more info about that soekris and SIP card, cause i have never seen this kind of computer and/or SIP card. if you'll give me more info i'll google it.
sure ..

you can get all the info about it here

Thanks again for your helping. I apreciated because I am very interested about voip and all it stuff, and I think the link that you gave me is a great place where you can study ..

Last edited by bsduser; 9th June 2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: mistake again ...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsduser View Post
sure ..you can get all the info about it here
I have searched your link above for any occurrence of "sip" with zero results.

I too am unaware of anything known as a "sip card." SIP is a protocol. Analogous to saying, something like, "TCP."

Being a protocol, within an asterisk context, you configure a sip extension or a sip trunk, not a sip card.

What telephony topology are you trying to create?

/S
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2008
Package Pilot

You may want to consider starting with a friendlier implementation like http://www.trixbox.com/. CE version is freeware/open source.

/S
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th June 2008
Port Guard

S2scott - Hey

I too was confused by the term "sip card" -- I did a little researching my self and came up with nothing. The only thing I could think of is what most third party SIP devices currently do; Route - We sell a product called a Sip-A-rator, ours are from bandwidth.com -- Essentially its a router that accepts many formats of SIP. As we all know there's no official standard yet.