DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th June 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
IMHO if X -configure works, it works really well. If it doesn't work which is often the case with older laptops alternative is writing xorg.conf file from scratch by hand.
I've always ued X -configure to get myself a template for my machines, then hand edit it in vi or vim until things are sorted out. When it doesn't work with the generated file, scratch it and move on. Whatever peoples opinions of 'man xorg.conf' is, under the X11R6 days and all the way to the last 7.x release I had to configure - it's always been enough to figure out how to do things when combined with an example for orientation. Most of my hardware is pretty basic stuff so I usually get a working template in a fair resolution, when it works it works well.

If things like xorgcfg and xorgconfig have not been maintained they will eventually generate xorg.conf's that are not appropriate for a modern X.Org and that would lead to much weeping and gashing of teeth. I reckon the developers have little need of such a program, would be nice if they would keep it on because such tools can sometimes be useful to us users! But really there is nothing to stop someone from picking up the code or implementing an updated configuration engine with curses, gtk, and qt front ends, and stuffing it all on sourceforge!

Actually that sounds kind of like fun but not a program suite I would want to maintain on my own.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.