DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2014
Shell Scout

Default Pkgsrc Idea

Pkgsrc is usable on multiple operating systems. If something compiles on Linux it may not compile on NetBSD. If you want to make your own package of un-ported software, you can submit the port to WIP.

Using the standard pkgsrc I have compiled LMMS on NetBSD, which by default fails. I did this by disabling the building of the calf plugin, via a cmake config patch (adhering to the pkgsrc procedures). In the newer version of LMMS this may not be a problem since the developers of LMMS have made some corrections to LMMS' inculsion of the calf plugin.

You can submit your patch via a web-interface on the Pkgrsc website.

I was just thinking that whenever a port is added to pkgsrc, it starts by being compiled on a certain system. It could be initially recorded which system this was originally successfully compiled on, along with which files and patches (including original signatures). Then when a user of pkgsrc successfully compiles the same package on a system different then the original, pkgsrc could check to see if any new patches or files where used in contrast to the those used of the initial system compilation. If nothing was done different then, then nothing else would happen. If however there was a new patch or file used, then a prompt could ask the user if they would like to submit this data for evaluation. If they select to do so, then the patch(s) (also including original patches where the signature has changed) and name of any files used could be sent to an online archive along with a note and email address from the submitter (if one was provided after a prompt). This online archive could be viewed by both users and developers of pkgsrc. This could also be implemented by the WIP community.

What do you think?

They could call it "Infinity Submission" <- a play on my username.

Last edited by fn8t; 30th August 2014 at 12:10 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th September 2014
standard-bearer

I don't understand your concept. Packages are designed to work on all ports except there are limitated or broken. A user don't need to test this, build farms tests these. I don't tested lmms but i looks like despite pkgsrc-users mainertainership is this package very active.
And froma user perspective i try to avoid pkgsrc. Pkgin has everything i need.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th September 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrym View Post
And froma user perspective i try to avoid pkgsrc.
And that's probably why you don't understand the concept. Its all about advancing pkgsrc.

Users don't have to test anything. But, if you happen to build a package, that by default fails on your particular system, it would be nice if you could upload your adjustments from the moment of a successful build.

You could submit your fixes herehttp://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/sendpr.cgi?gndb=netbsd, but someone will have to review and implement the changes (if accepted). It could be awhile before the changes result in a built binary package available via the NetBSD repository. If there was a publicly viewable archive, the fixes would be available to users before the availability of a repository package.

I can't blame you for avoiding pkgsrc. It is not always convenient, unless you are a mad man with an addiction to control over your system(s). Pkgin is very nice, also.