DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Banned

Default OpenBSD -STABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by avallach View Post
I'm following stable ports tree.
What "stable" ports tree? That was discontinued.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
New User

Default OpenBSD -STABLE

Not sure I'm kinda noob ;-) I was reading FAQ and found out tha there is a stable ports tree in that strange looking table: http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#PortsFetch

So I entered % cd /usr; cvs checkout -P -rOPENBSD_4_3 src and it downloaded something ;-) Maybe it is current... Don't know. It says patch branch. Anyway maybe I'm wrong but they should update those docs more often ;-)

PS. When they decided to discontinue it?
PPS. Sorry for offtopic.

Last edited by avallach; 21st May 2008 at 03:31 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
PS. When they decided to discontinue it?
...perhaps a year ago.

"Why" is perhaps a more important question. Outside of DragonflyBSD, the OpenBSD project is the smallest of the *BSD projects. Given the number of people involved, given the six-month release cycle, & given the increasing number of ports checked into the ports tree, the decision was made to suspend backporting port fixes to the -stable branch. It is felt that ensuring the quality of -current (which becomes -release every six months...) takes precedence.
Quote:
Anyway maybe I'm wrong but they should update those docs more often ;-)
Information found at the project's Website is updated with each release.

If sufficient funds can be obtained, backporting ports to -stable may be revisited. This is why the long-time practice has not been removed from the Website.
Quote:
Maybe it is current... Don't know. It says patch branch.
Performing actions without know why or what the consequences may be is not prudent. Study Section 5.3.3 of the FAQ for the answer:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BldGetSrc

Using the OPENBSD_4_3 CVS tag retrieves all files in the -stable branch (which is alternately known as the "patch" branch...). Specifying no CVS tag retrieves -current.
Quote:
PPS. Sorry for offtopic.
I'll make a request to the Moderators to split this topic into its own thread.

Last edited by ocicat; 21st May 2008 at 05:56 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
New User

Ok so let's get it straight. Stable tree still exists but it is not maintained anymore. It's still in CVS... but no one is interested in updating these packages frequently. They should give some info don't you think ?
Quote:
Performing actions without know why or what the consequences may be is not prudent.
Easy for you to say. Especially when I had done everything what I wanted to do, just didn't know about the fact they don't update it anymore..
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Stable tree still exists but it is not maintained anymore. It's still in CVS... but no one is interested in updating these packages frequently.
This is not quite correct.

There is interest, but there are not the funds nor personnel to backport fixes to packages once a formal release has been made. The practice had previously been that some fixes to packages would trickle back to -stable between release cycles. This practice has been suspended.

Any updates made to applications in the ports tree occurs first in -current. At the point where a formal release is tagged every six months, the ports tree is tagged as well. The tree continues to be maintained; it is simply that changes are not moved into -stable between formal releases. Currently, users of -stable will see package & ports updates once every six months when a formal release occurs.

Last edited by ocicat; 22nd May 2008 at 01:43 AM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Banned

To the OP, there might be some confusion, only -STABLE ports were discontinued, a -STABLE branch still exists for the kernel and base system (Xorg also.)..
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2008
Uber Geek

made this into a new thread