DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2010
Port Guard

Default Partition help needed.

My current setup looks like this.
fdisk:
Code:
0: 00
1: 00
2: 00
3: A6 0 1 1 - 3647 254 63 [ 63: 58605057 ] OpenBSD
disklabel:
Code:
a: 30000000 63 BSD 2048 16384 1
c: 58605120 0 unused 0 0
e: 15000000 30000063 BSD 2048 16384
h: 13605057 45000063 swap
---

Question.
I want to make the unused bsd partition into a regular fdisk fat32 partition and how do i do this.

Last edited by J65nko; 22nd March 2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: [code] and [/code] tags
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2010
Banned

The formatting of the output is awful, you can use [code][/code] tags to prevent that and make things easier for us.

There is no unused partition, c is a special partition representing the entire disk.

If you created your OpenBSD A6 (MBR) partition without saving any space for your FAT32 partition, you will probably be unable to salvage your current disk configuration.

Please post the full output of fdisk/disklabel again, but use the formatting tags I mentioned above.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ros2468 View Post
I want to make the unused bsd partition into a regular fdisk fat32 partition and how do i do this.
Your fdisk(8) output only indicates that one MBR partition is used & this single MBR partition uses the entire disk.

There appears to be no free space for making another partition for FAT32.

If you believe that partition "c" is free space in the disklabel(8) output, you are incorrect. Partition "c" represents the entire disk from the disklabel perspective. As such, it is always marked unused.

It appears that when OpenBSD was installed, you chose to provide the entire disk for its usage. If you want to create another partition (FAT32 or otherwise...) you will need to reinstall. Be sure to save any important files first.

Before proceeding, take the time to seriously study Section 4 of the FAQ as this discusses installation issues.

ros2468, in the future please provide the complete output from commands. You have had a habit of picking & choosing what is presented, & this simply consumes time in trying to figure out what is missing & why you omit it. Be respectful of the effort you are asking of others to help solve your problems. Provide complete information, & provide all information requested.

Lastly, it would be worth your time to read the following thread:

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2010
Port Guard

a: 30000000 63 4.2BSD 2048 16384 1
c: 58605120 0 unused 0 0
e: 15000000 30000063 4.2BSD 2048 16384 1
h: 13605057 45000063 swap

my plan is to delete storage partition e:. Is reinstall realy nessesary?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
my plan is to delete storage partition e:. Is reinstall realy nessesary?
We don't know, we can't read minds, nor do we have access to your system.

Each of these partitions -- a, e, and h -- are probably mounted, and contain useful things.

But the point is moot. e is in the middle of your OpenBSD partition, which must remain a contiguous space. As Ocicat mentioned, already, you WILL NEED TO REINSTALL, unless you possess Unix systems administration wizardry you have not yet shown you possess.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2010
Administrator

Quote:
my plan is to delete storage partition e:.
I suspect that by deleting partition "e", your current installation will no longer be usable.

You can find out what portion of the overall filesystem is mounted on partition "e" by studying both the manpages for df(1) or mount(8) and studying the output of these commands. In particular, output of the following is what you need to understand:
  • $ mount
  • $ df -h
Yes, the output of both will appear similar in comparison. However, the motivation behind each command is different. That difference is described in the manpages.

If you want us to comment on the output, provide the full output posted between [CODE & [/CODE] tags. Anything less is really just wasting our time.
Quote:
Is reinstall realy nessesary?
If you want an additional FAT32 partition, yes. From the information presented, you don't have free space available -- meaning free space which isn't already assigned to your OpenBSD A6 MBR partition.

I note that you tend to append a colon to any disklabel(8) partition described. Be aware that disklabel(8) partitions are not the same as drive letters on Windows. Treating them as equivalent will only get you into trouble.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2010
Port Guard

This is the idea. I delete the last two bsd partition( e and swap h), then rewrite the mbr to contain multiple partitions starting where partition a ends. Is there something wrong in that?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Is there something wrong in that?
Yes. You are making the assumption that a disklabel(8) partition equals an MBR partition, & this simply isn't true.

If you delete a disklabel(8) partition, all that you are doing is freeing up space within the OpenBSD A6 MBR partition + destroying the filesystem used by your present installation. Any space freed within the OpenBSD A6 MBR partition cannot be reclaimed by another MBR partition.

Likewise, only one OpenBSD A6 partition can be exist on a disk. jggimi has already mentioned this.

If you proceed with your current idea, you will most likely render your OpenBSD installation unusable, but as stated before, provide the complete output of the following command:

$ df -h

...if you want a more definitive answer on just how unusable your system will become. Again, any space freed cannot be used for another MBR partition.

If you want a FAT32 partition, you will need to reinstall.

You really need to spend time studying Section 4 of the FAQ.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd March 2010
Port Guard

Im about to resize the a6 partition -1G,
Old 22nd March 2010
More noise than signal

1. You have refused to provide any information that would allow any of us to guide you, other than in the most general terms.
  2. Your latest self-induced plan to "resize" things will only impact the MBR partition, it will not change the size of the individual BSD partitions managed by disklabel.
  3. If all you do is change the size of the MBR partition, and create a second MBR partition for other purposes, the moment your OpenBSD system writes into what it understands is usable swap space in those LBAs in sd0h or wd0h that you have reassigned to something else, any data you have stored there will be over written, damaging the information in your new MBR partition..
  4. Reconfiguration without reinstallation is sometimes possible, but that depends entirely on information you have refused to share.
  5. You have shown an unwillingness to cooperate with those trying to help you, in any fashion. I'm done trying.