DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th June 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Default Japanese in OpenBSD

Well, I'd never gotten around to this in 5.6, but I finally got a chance to try Japanese input in OpenBSD. Something doesn't seem to work quite right--the input program, ibus, doesn't seem to get its hot keys to work correctly, and there's probably a place to change it, but it seems that anthy, which I'm using as the backend, has its own shortcuts. (It makes me wonder if mozc does too, and if that's why I'm having issues in FreeBSD). I had to edit anthy's setup to get ibus' to work the way I wanted.

Anyway, although I'm sure there are better articles around, I figure I'll add instructions to my Japanese input page. Does anyone here use Japanese with OpenBSD? If so, what desktop do you use?

I should add, if anyone's curious, it's at http://srobb.net/jpninpt.html, just search for OpenBSD-5.7 on the page.
(EDIT) Well, after 13 years, I finally put in a table of contents so you can just go to the OpenBSD section.

Last edited by scottro; 19th June 2015 at 10:24 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2015
Shell Scout

yasuoka@ wrote “Setup a OpenBSD Japanese desktop environment in 30 minutes”; it’s a little outdated but should generally work.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Yeah, they're using uim and anthy. I have played with uim, but never had much luck with it. For my infrequent use, my method is working for me, but thank you for that, I'd not seen it before.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2015
Spam Deminer

I am curious about what difficulties you have with UIM and Japanese. I use it for Chinese, and other than not having a complete set of characters, it works quite well. I assumed UIM would be better with Japanese.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2015
ISO Quartermaster

Howdy sacerdos_demonis. It was awhile ago, I don't even remember what system I tried it on, probably a flavor of Linux. I also thought it would be better for Japanese (for those who don't know, ibus and fcitx were originally developed for Chinese, while uim was for Japanese in the beginning), but, probably due to an error on my part, it would just never open the conversion. At the time, I think, (again, I'm going by memory) ibus was working well--these days, it's not working too well for me on anything but OpenBSD, so I didn't delve too deeply

Sorry to have so little information.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2015
Spam Deminer

沒問題 (Posted using UIM. )
The reasons I assume UIM would work better with Japanese than Chinese are that UIM has many more Japanese options/components, and OpenBSD's Ibus has better Japanese support. Apparently because there are many more Japanese using the OpenBSD than Chinese.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th June 2015
ISO Quartermaster

I don't use OpenBSD very much, but like to try it from time to time. I was curious about Japanese
input because back in the early 2000's, I wasn't able to get it working, but figured it had gotten easier (and indeed it has). It's probably easy with uim as well, but I don't know if I'll take the time to try it. (That sounds rude as I type it, hopefully, you realize what I mean, and that I'm not being rude at all, it's simply that as I don't use OpenBSD much, I don't have that much time to put effort into finding multiple ways of doing things with it.)
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Going to necrobump, as there don't seem to be too many hits about OpenBSD and Japanese. In 6.2, fcitx-anthy has been added and works quite well. A few quirks--the default vi doesn't work with it but you can install nvi from ports. (2 years ago, Oko had recommended that approach to me and its still necessary.) For some reason, at least in my setup, to get Firefox to accept input, you have to declare LC_CTYPE (I remember this happening with FreeBSD earlier) as ja_JP.UTF-8. I have it detailed on my Japanese input page in case someone googling for the info hits this post.

http://srobb.net/jpninpt.html#OpenBSD
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2017
OpenBSD language porter

Just for clarity, fcitx-anthy is in -current now, will be available in 6.3 (I gave kevlo@ the ok for it).

But I'm happy to see that it works!
Old 10th December 2017
ISO Quartermaster

Argh, just realized I used a snapshot. Thanks Brian. (Hurries to update Japanese input article)
My excuse is that it had the install62.fs name and I wasn't paying attention.
Old 12th December 2017
ISO Quartermaster

As there are very few hits on this subject when googling, I'll use this thread to mention that having to specify LC_CTYPE in Firefox was simply user error. There is an additional package, fcitx-gtk3 that is needed for many gtk apps to work.