DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2011
Package Pilot

Default How to install virtualbox on FreeBSD ?

Hello again everybody,

On my PcBSD partition all I had to install was one file, virtualbox-4.0.6-amd64.pbi and virtualbox have been working just fine. Now I want to try it manually and thanks to 8.2 release I have manage to install FreeBSD 8.2-AMD-64 with Gnome 2.32.1 on another partition and now trying to learn how to install virtualbox with debugging features. I notice there are three virtualboxs and Fresh Ports tells me how to install virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.0.8.tbz and a older versions of virtualbox 3.0.51.r22902_3. But no where on the INTERNET does it indicate to install all three files. Most of them talk only about Windows-7 and virtualbox.

If I want virtualbox 64bit with debug logging options, would I have to install all three of these packages?

virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.0.8.tbz

virtualbox-ose-4.0.8.tbz

virtualbox-ose-additions-4.0.8.tbz

If so, in what order?

Thanks in advance
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2011
Banned

Look at the kmod options with
Code:
make config
if any are available.
Usually, building the kernel module will bring in the dependency of ose. If ose has a config option, then choose additions.

You can also add ose, ose-additions, and then kmod.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th June 2011
Package Pilot

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=22659

wblock wrote:
Quote:
VirtualBox uses kernel modules which should match the kernel version. So after you upgrade to 8.2, rebuild and reinstall emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod.
OK, so virtualbox-ose-kmod are only drivers: vboxdrv dish out the RAM and CPU for each guest. vboxnet are drivers for networking.

Quote:
Don't know if emulators/virtualbox-ose also requires a rebuild, but it wouldn't hurt.
virtualbox-ose, thanks for the clue. So this must be the actual program. My bad ... I should have guested it by size.

Quote:
... the Guest Additions are designed to be installed inside a virtual machine after the guest operating system has been installed.
I never would have guest this one, "inside-out install". But I still not found no info about virtualbox-3.2.12-amd64.tbz

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/

Vbox for FreeBSD was a hopeless dream just yesterday, (a few years ago). That's why I ask first.

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=9818

The things you learn all in a day is like crazy. how could anyone have a real clue unless he set up a lab for it (one out of a thousand fields in computing).

btw: trying to make it work with no help is not worth the effort. I'll spare you the details but I for one know the real reason why the Gnome Team drop support for Gnome-2, COMPLETELY. It's not all about the finger-tab-top. It was pure bad planning and programming practice. Now they bailing out on the open-source community for GNOME-2 (multi-windows support) after all of these years of dedication.. Geez!

Order of install:
virtualbox-ose-4.0.8.tbz ...............................23 dependencies
virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.0.8.tbz ........................0 dependencies
virtualbox-ose-additions-4.0.8.tbz ...................1 dependency

Funny thing is that any version of virtualbox-ose needs perl-5-12.3 and python27 but it can't replace perl-5.10.1_3 an python26 which is needed to run GNOME-2

Last edited by sharris; 5th June 2011 at 10:33 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2011
Banned

You have to set the python version.

http:// forums .freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=1390 I can't post links. If a moderator or administrator wants, they can make the link whole. You can have a default python and another version at the same time.

The FreeBSD GNOME team wanted to move forward. Making GNOME3 work is still progressing. I know this because I do work on porting when I can.

You don't need to replace PERL, just add another version.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2011
Package Pilot

It is true that many of these daemonforums members are members at the new forums.freebsd. Most of them are old friend from top to bottom. daemonforums started it all. They were once the KING of BSD forums but proudly share with there new and old friend forums.freebsd. You can consider this site as the original.forums.freebsd

I only join one of anything. I did my homework. This place won out just when the other was getting started and this place was helping them to get started I can put up many theads that shows that... They call it the new forum and I really respected them for that.

Anyway, it has what feels like a million threads to review and every time I GOOGLE bsd, daemonforums was usually the first in line. The truth is, their very best friend, forums.freebsd, has not actually made it there yet. I live to GOOGLE freeBSD and programming so I know.

Beside, when it come to solutions in computing, It don't matter where it come from as long. Any web-master would be proud to represent it, especially if it works! A BSD Forums do not need a GNU licences to share open-source information.

Were are in the same gang
Please post the full link Ninguem

btw: I have no right complaining about the GNOME team. I just be trying to make them feel bad so they will try again... I'm a new user anyway and I did not even know the Gnome Team was FreeBSD... I was referring to GNOME.

Rule #1 - forgive sharris please!
I sometime carry on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, especially when he finally is right about something.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2011
Banned

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=1390