DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2013
Shell Scout

Default Is a host still needed if you run a BIND service?

Hello

I know this is probably a noob question but there are some VERY intelligent guys on this forum that give a lot of good advice.

Do you still need a domain registrar (like godaddy) if you run a domain service such as BIND? I know that a name server is for resolving www name to ip and the reverse but is this just on your local network? How do the domain registrar's register the domain name?

Thanks in advance
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2013
More noise than signal

If your nameserver is private, you need no name registration. Commonly, private nameservers act as caching servers and may also provide local name resolution on private, RFC 1918 LANs, as I mentioned to frcc in this recent thread.

If your nameserver is public, server requirements will be set by your zone authority.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2013
Shell Scout

After reading several tutorials I think that this is well beyond the scope of what I am trying to accomplish. I will use a registrar for this task.

Thank you for your input!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2013
More noise than signal

You never described what it is you wanted to accomplish. As an example, you can have a nameserver on a local, private network that only has an internal private network address and is not addressable from the Internet at all. I do this on my home network, where I have named(8) listening on a server at 192.168.1.1. Not addressable from the Internet, no FQDN, no registrar.

Last edited by jggimi; 23rd July 2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: clarity
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2013
Shell Scout

Basically I was wanting to not use godaddy to provide the dns lookup. Since i found out that it is hard to get on 'the list' so that other dns servers will use you for lookup. It doesnt make much sense to run this out of my house for one site.

As far as the local dns, that doesnt make much sense either since i only have a small network of a few computers.

Mostly I am just expanding my knowledge of openbsd but in the case of dns, it doesnt make much sense.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th July 2013
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

There are two sides to DNS: "authoritative" and "recursive". Authoritative is when a domain you control is being asked "where is www.${yourdomain}.com?" by someone outside of your domain, recursive is when a machine on your domain asks your ISPs dns server "where is www.${someotherdomain}.com?", which your ISP may or may not immediately know. If it doesn't know, it either refers you to an upstream DNS server, or it asks upstream on your behalf.

It sounds like you're trying to setup an authoritative server (this is all the registrar really needs to know about), in which case jggimi's advice is what you're looking for.

If not, though, you can look into named as a recursive resolver, or unbound (my preference), or even a few others. The major use case there would be "I want to use ${ISP}, but ${ISP}s name servers suck...so I'll run my own recursive dns server and point it at the internet's root dns servers!"

This, I can tell you, runs nicely and is fun. You can do all manners of fun stuff when you run your own recursive (well, either recursive or authoritative) dns server.