DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Port Guard

Unhappy what to do at mountroot prompt?

Hi everyone,

Just coming from bsdforums... sad...
But life is going on and I hope I'll find some help here.
So this is my problem.

After wrong diagnose, my FreeBSD 7 box has been brutally rebooted. Since, it is not booting anymore and instead, prompting this ( horrible ) mountroot.

I tried to find what to do there and all I found was to indicate the / slice. What i did, like this:

usf:/dev/ad1s1a

but it just replied something like 'No such file or directory' several times until the box has been stopped.

From another FreeBSD system (multiboot on the box) I applied "fsck -y" on all slices of the first system to get them all clean. Then I tried again. the result was sadly the same.

So... the question is simple... what to do?

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Try using the tools available at mountroot. I think lsdev lists what drives are detected and '?' gives a list of commands.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsawe View Post
I tried to find what to do there and all I found was to indicate the / slice. What i did, like this:

usf:/dev/ad1s1a
My memory is getting old, I just did this last week. But it should be ufs:ad1s1a
I pretty sure you don't need the dev part, and it UFS not USF - either way that part is wrong.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Port Guard

Sorry, i just wrote it wrong but i really tried ufs and not usf.

I am going to try all your advices but tomorrow, when i'll get my hands on the box.
About that, i am wondering... Isn't it a way to fix that from another freebsd system? If i can mount all the slices of my non-booting one, is there a file that i can set to fix that?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Arp Constable

You could always boot off a FreeBSD live cd, mount your systems root / and access files read+write.

Every time I've seen that prompt, either I screwed up /etc/fstab or when using SATA drives, changing the ATA_STATIC_ID option in the kernel configuration without adjusting fstab.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 28th May 2008 at 10:56 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Port Guard

I mounted the slice / and checked the fstab and it seems ok.
So if i want to fix this boot issue, which file else shall I check?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

First please post us your /etc/fstab.

If the kernel finished loading, and fsck reports that the filesystem is consistent, then maybe the init or similar needed files might be corrupted.
A quick solution is to use the FIXIT option from the installation media to repair the base system.

Last edited by harisman; 29th May 2008 at 03:22 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2008
Port Guard

Hi again!
So i tried the ? at the mountroot prompt. It listed all the available slices and ad1s1a was in between. I then typed:

Quote:
ufs:ad1s1a
After displaying a couple of things, it asked me for the fullpath of the shell or to accept the default one. I accepted and tried a 'fsck -y' command.
It replied that it couldn't find the file

Quote:
fstab: /etc/fstab:0: no such file or directory
and this is the fstab, that I got from mountint ad1s1a from another FreeBSD system:

Quote:
# Device Mountpoint FStype Options Dump Pass#
/dev/ad1s1b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/ad1s1a / ufs rw 1 1
/dev/ad1s2d /config ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad1s1d /tmp ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad1s1f /usr ufs rw 2 2
/dev/ad1s1e /var ufs rw 2 2
/dev/acd0 /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/amrd0s1 /mnt/dir1 ext2fs rw,noauto 0 0
/dev/amrd0s3 /mnt/dir2 ext2fs rw,noauto 0 0
/dev/amrd0s2 /mnt/dir3 ext2fs rw,noauto 0 0
/dev/amrd0s4 /mnt/dir4 ext2fs rw,noauto 0 0
so... what's wrong?

Last edited by Sunsawe; 31st May 2008 at 08:42 AM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
It replied that it couldn't find the file

and this is the fstab, that I got from mountint ad1s1a from another FreeBSD system:

so... what's wrong?
Well the first things is, is the file /etc/fstab actually on the machine that you are booting? If not, then that's your problem.
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
Well the first things is, is the file /etc/fstab actually on the machine that you are booting? If not, then that's your problem.
Well yes. it is the same machine with 2 systems installed in multiboot. I just mounted the ad1s1a slice from the other system and found the fstab where it was supposed to be, meaning in /etc directory in the mounted slice.
Old 1st June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Please use [code][/code], not [quote][/quote] when showing file listings, to preserve white space. It makes things like fstab much easier to parse.

I think that that line is stating that it cannot find the dev file listed on line 0 of the fstab file, not that it cannot find the file. Could you check whether all the device nodes not listed as 'noauto' actually exist (when you enter single-user mode)?

Generally, you specify a device node or mount point for a filesystem. Like this # fsck -y /dev/ad1s1a
Old 1st June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Well yes. it is the same machine with 2 systems installed in multiboot. I just mounted the ad1s1a slice from the other system and found the fstab where it was supposed to be, meaning in /etc directory in the mounted slice.
I was trying to figure out why you where showing us an /etc/fstab for "another system" that worked. That isn't going to help fix the one that isn't working if we can't see that.

I'd suggest booting the system with a rescue cd so that you can mount the partition and look at the /etc/fstab that doesn't work.
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
I was trying to figure out why you where showing us an /etc/fstab for "another system" that worked. That isn't going to help fix the one that isn't working if we can't see that.

I'd suggest booting the system with a rescue cd so that you can mount the partition and look at the /etc/fstab that doesn't work.
well.. even with a mistake in the line, if you look carefully, you'll see that I am showing the fstab which is not working, that I got by mounting the slice in another FreeBSD system, which is working.

So this is the non working fstab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Please use [code][/code], not when showing file listings, to preserve white space. It makes things like fstab much easier to parse.

I think that that line is stating that it cannot find the dev file listed on line 0 of the fstab file, not that it cannot find the file. Could you check whether all the device nodes not listed as 'noauto' actually exist (when you enter single-user mode)?

Generally, you specify a device node or mount point for a filesystem. Like this # fsck -y /dev/ad1s1a
Sorry for the code tag...

I check with the ? at the mountroot and they all exist.
Old 5th June 2008
Port Guard

Does 'mount' command after you get to the shell (the /bin/sh by default) show devfs mounted?