DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Flash for firefox finally?

This is new, or I just heard of it. gecko-mediaplayer. It integrates mplayer with gecko browsers to play media files through mplayer inbrowser. One person on the mailing list said it plays flash in Firefox just fine, but I don't know what OS they used. I won't get a chance to try this cause I'm going out of town if someone else wants to give it a shot.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th August 2008
Banned

There is a similar plugin for VLC, but.. they simply embed "media" into the browser, for example, an XViD encoded video source.

Entirely unrelated to flash... while mplayer/VLC support FLV, they can't interpret the flash player applets used to present the content.

What I wish people would do, is stop using flash for video.. and provide download links so people can watch the content at their own damn discretion.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
What I wish people would do, is stop using flash for video.. and provide download links so people can watch the content at their own damn discretion.
I wholeheartedly agree. Flash in general is pretty useless. Advertisers use them and some contain malicious scripts in them. I have not seen much real use for Flash outside of animating. And to pay an outrageous price for some piece of Windows-only software just to make 2D animations is pretty off-putting, IMO.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Port Guard

The fact is that, even being a closed format, is used very much. Don't expect youtube, google video, metacafe... to give a link to download the videos.

I really hate flash. But we cannot do anything in that way.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2008
Banned

That's the ironic thing, Google Video did provide a direct download link... sorta, at one point they modified VLC and called it "Google Video Player" or something, users downloaded "GVI" files which were text wrappers to a direct XViD encoded file.

That's unfortunately not the case anymore.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
New User

I'm new to FBSD and implemented Linux Binary Compatibility to get Flash to run on my system. I just came across this workaround on the Puppy Linux web site:

-------------->
Flash video
http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00309

Zigbert recommended that .flv files need to have a file association so that Gxine will play them. At first I thought, no, Gxine cannot play a Flash Video, but this overview page has corrected me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video

Where to get some FLV files to play with? I found this:
http://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/fl...ample-flv.html

The required mime-type is 'video/x-flv', and I presume that zigbert has requested that this be setup so that Gxine plays when a .flv file is clicked on in ROX-Filer. But, if I try to open a .flv file in SeaMonkey, SeaMonkey does not know what to do with it either.

I got that mime-type after a bit of research on the Internet (also given in the wikipedia page), however ROX-Filer thinks the mime-type for .flv files is 'application/x-flash-video'.

To fix SeaMonkey (and Firefox and many other apps), I added entries to /etc/mailcap and /etc/mime.types (using video/x-flv mime-type).
--------------->

Would any of this be germane to FBSD?

dinamos
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Have you folks seen the latest about flash being used for malicious attacks, affecting Linux as well as others?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733

It's a pity that so many web designers find it a necessity. It becomes more and more difficult to manage without using it.

It's one of those stupid trends, that no one even really likes---web designers designing for each other, I think. Now the banks and credit card sites all use it too, which is inexcusable.

Citibank's Citicard site, for example, has a site that is unworkable by default with Linux or BSD. (If you go to Citicards.com--if you navigate there from the Citibank page you get a message that your browser can't take advantage of their brand new features. These features---pop up ads. Silly people. However, at least you're given the option to continue anyway.)

(There are various workarounds.) When people complain, they say, "We don't support LINUX". (The all caps are theirs.) Note that at this point, I'd already gotten a workaround and had sent an email suggesting they tell it to their tech support people.

No wonder they're losing money.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2008
Banned

My banks site, fortunately redirects to a non-flash version.. not that I actually utilized the site, I prefer using the phone or ATM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2008
Shell Scout

*Yawn*

Who needs flash on their server?

-Tim