DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2012
Port Guard

Default gnome and firefox36

For firefox in stable ports tree are available the two ports: firefox35 (3.5.19) and firefox36 (3.6.18). The current version of firefox 3.6 is 3.6.28 with security and stability update.

I see some patch in ports tree, but is it safe enough to use this version of firefox36? Does anyone use openbsd stable for desktop, or for enough security you must use current?

With gnome same thing, i started compiling gnome-session. Is this a clean install of gnome, or how to install gnome without additional applications?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2012
VPN Cryptographer

The current version of Firefox is 11 in FreeBSD packages but I don't know about OpenBSD. As noted in another thread, v3.6 has reached "end of life".
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2012
More noise than signal

At this time, users of -release/-stable flavors of OpenBSD are limited to Firefox 5.0, Firefox 3.6.18, or Firefox 3.5.19. No -stable Firefox ports have been committed.

You have three choices:
  1. Wait for 5.1-release, expected on or about 1 May 2012. You will be able to use Firefox 9.0.1 or Firefox 3.6.25 at that time.
  2. Upgrade to -current, and use Firefox 3.6.28 or Firefox 11.
  3. Backport Firefox 3.6.28 or Firefox 11 yourself.
Please note that option 3 requires a significant application integration effort; you will not be able to use a -current ports tree with either a -release or a -stable system. Please read FAQ 15.4.1, very carefully.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th March 2012
More noise than signal

As for gnome-session, it too has no -stable port. There is no advantage to compiling it, as you will only produce a target package that is effectively identical to the package at your nearest mirror.

The gnome-session application is the base for all gnome applications. You should find OpenBSD specific documentation for it in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes after installing the package.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
The current version of Firefox is 11 in FreeBSD packages but I don't know about OpenBSD. As noted in another thread, v3.6 has reached "end of life".
On FreeBSD in ports is still firefox-10.0.3,1, correct me if I'm wrong.
The difference between OpenBSD stable and release port tree is that the stable ports tree contains only security updates for third party software? I listed firefox only as an example. Did I understand this?
Is not important to me whether I use 11 or 3.6.18 if that is safe enough.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2012
More noise than signal

You are correct, the -stable ports tree will differ from the -release ports tree only when security/stability ports have been committed. This will only occur when a revision will not require dependency or library changes and when there is sufficient interest and resource available.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi View Post
The difference between OpenBSD stable and release port tree is that the stable ports tree contains only security updates for third party software?
The -stable branch will include the same Makefile infrastructure + patches found in the -release branch + whatever security fixes the port maintainer has had time to integrate. This is covered in Section 15.3.10 of the FAQ.

Per the CVSWeb interface found on the project's homepage, Firefox 3.6.28 was checked into the -current branch two weeks ago. These fixes have not yet been moved to the OPENBSD_5_0 -stable branch.

marconi, I understand you are interested in the -stable branch for its policy of staying abreast of currently released security fixes. The reality is that the port maintainers have a number of priorities to balance, & porting all known fixes back to the -stable branch may not be done in a timely manner. As many of your questions are looking at how quickly & responsive the project is to newly published security updates, I invite you to monitor CVS to see if this meets your needs.

Last edited by ocicat; 1st April 2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: OPENBSD_5_0 & OPENBSD_5_0_BASE point to same CVS revision