DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2012
bsdstudent

Default any consequences to moving a laptop-based installed disk to another different laptop

Hi eveybody !

Are there any reliability/stability consequences to moving an OpenBSD box which is installed on Acer Aspire to CompaqMini ?

Consequently, a related question (Hope it won't turn a hijack +00 :-) ) :
Things are fine as I moved the Acer disk to CompacMini .. yet I don't know how to reset the display settings to fit the new small screen , the CLI way I mean ..

Thank you very much !
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Are there any reliability/stability consequences to moving an OpenBSD box which is installed on Acer Aspire to CompaqMini ?
Disclaimer: I don't know the differences -- but I don't need to. As long as the two systems are of the same architecture, you may move them around without too much trouble. There are a few things to be careful about:
  • The physical device number (sd0, wd1) may change -- this will be a problem if you use physical device numbers in /etc/fstab. If you use DUIDs instead; there should be no problem.
  • Your NICs will likely have changed device names, so you will likely need to rename /etc/hostname.* files.
Quote:
...I don't know how to reset the display settings to fit the new small screen , the CLI way I mean ...
I'm not sure I understand the question ... but then, I don't know either computer.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you sooooo much , jggimi !!
I luckily use DUIDS .. Thanks to the OpenBSD Team !
In fact I've got no problem .. as I had no problem moving a Hp Packard Bell installed disk to Dell L400 :-) .. NICs are set and profiles aliases etc ..

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the question
Sorry I don't phrase clearly .. Acer is 1024x786 and Compaq Mini CQ10 is a smaller laptop
so Xphoon/browsers/etc are not 'well shaped' .. I've set dillorc to 900x580 geometry .. is there a utility that presets values so all X/Gui progs follow ?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2012
bsdstudent

it's a Compaq Mini CQ10 - 130SE
http://www.batterycentury.com/hp-min...-p-149692.html

I'm a bit confused about geometry and resolution ..
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st July 2012
More noise than signal

Physical display geometry is either set manually in an xorg.conf file, or is managed automatically if there is no xorg.conf. Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

The X server logs what it does in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You have seen this file mentioned before. Open it, and look through it, and you will see how it applies configuration information from xorg.conf, if one exists, or, you will see what decisions it makes without one.

Your problem may not be related to physical geometry, but may be a configuration setting stored by your window manager. For example, the window manager may have a 1024x768 "map" and X tries to display that on a 900x580 screen, giving you some sort of spill-over. What display information is stored, and where, will vary dramatically as every window manager stores configuration information differently in different places -- usually in a "dot file" structure under the user's home directory. See the -a option to ls(1).
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2012
More noise than signal

Some additional considerations --
  • You may also have to make PF configuration changes for changes in NICs. Usually, this is through macros near the top of your pf.conf file.
  • Different generations of computers, even within the same architecture, may have different limitations on boot block locations, as per FAQ 14.8.
I just moved a server's drives and one of its NICs to a spare computer due to RAM or power supply problems. I did have the issue where I'd forgotten to revise the PF configuration.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you so much, jggimi !
Good to recall.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2012
bsdstudent

{ It happened to me time ago to have installed OpenBSD to an external disk then as a test I put it in place in another older laptop and it just worked (no issues :-) ) .. I recall it was a problem for old releases as some changes must be made before using the disk (once installed as sd* ) as wd* .. }