DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2010
New User

Exclamation way to install flashplugins on firefox?

hi all i have 4.7 version and linux emu on boot... freebsd have a port linux nspluginwrapper.... for openbsd what is a way to install flashpluging 10.1 on firefox
tnx
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2010
More noise than signal

There is no way to do so. Only the opera plugin is supported per faq 13.14. If you need a more modern flash use another OS.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2010
Arp Constable

Current now has minitube which will play flash videos at youtube.
I don't care to have a flash plugin on my browser as much of the flash content on my news websites is advertisements.

Occasionally I like to watch/listen to music on youtube and minitube does this well. Joni Mitchell does a great version of Me and My Uncle archived from an 60's Canadian Folk Show.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th August 2010
More noise than signal

There are any number of youtube workarounds in the ports/package system. But the question in the OP, shep, was on integrating flash with Firefox on OBSD.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2010
Arp Constable

Jiggimi, as you said, there is no way to use the flashplugin in Firefox on OpenBSD.

Minitube is a new option in OpenBSD as of 11July2010. It avoids multiple security issues with linux, xorg and flash that have not been addressed in OpenBSD 4.7
http://openports.se/www/minitube

Links to security vulnerabilities
http://www.invisiblethingslab.com/re...ry-attacks.pdf
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/153005?rdf

Last edited by shep; 27th August 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: corrected openports minitube link
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2010
More noise than signal

There's gnash, which works part time, fails the rest of the time and consumes all available resources all of tthe time - yet does not handle Flash 9 or higher, and a subset of 8. There are other partial solutions that might work a little better. But these are circumventions.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2010
Tcpdump Spy

youtube_dl always worked fairly well for me, it just downloads the video files to your hard drive and can then play them with Mplayer.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2010
Arp Constable

You Tube altered their site and youtube-dl quit working. This has been fixed in the latest youtube-dl version. Version 4.7 will not have the fix but it is in current
http://openports.se/www/youtube-dl

If you go to the trouble of running current you will also find minitube as mentioned. It uses the qt4 libs and also needs the gstreamer-ffmpeg plugin

http://openports.se/multimedia/gstre...plugins-ffmpeg

Last edited by shep; 4th September 2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: punctuation
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2010
Spam Deminer

youtube-dl is a single file, a python script. The port for it has this one file in the plist and no dependencies other than using the python ports module. I'd suggest if the 4.7 version isn't working for you, you can safely manually replace the script with a newer one without involving the package system. In this simple case, I would think you could expect little harm to result if you later do a package upgrade and want to go back to letting the package system work for you. At worst if pkg_add or pkg_delete gives you a hard time about it (will they?) you can force the delete and manually remove the script then install the new version with pkg_add. This is what I'm doing, though I haven't upgraded over it yet.
Old 11th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
There's gnash, which works part time, fails the rest of the time and consumes all available resources all of tthe time - yet does not handle Flash 9 or higher, and a subset of 8. There are other partial solutions that might work a little better. But these are circumventions.
I always had much better luck with swfdec.

http://openports.se/graphics/swfdec

It is almost fully Flash 9 compliant. The development of swfdec has sized almost two years ago now. If they YouTube is the primary concern of the original question there are much better solutions as outlined before but if you need honest Flash (as I needed to use some on-line editors of Learning Management Systems and some medical insurance information) swfdec is as good as it gets on OpenBSD. It did work for most part for my needs in the past.

There are unofficial ports of Flash 9 and Ndiswrapper floating around Internet. I tried them and I realized why they have never been committed.
Old 11th September 2010
Arp Constable

Gnash is an active effort. For what ever reason the OpenBSD port is still at version 8.3 released in early 2008.
http://openports.se/www/gnash
The Gnash project code is at 8.8.
http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6483

This is not to be construed as criticism of the OpenBSD port maintainers. They are busy.
Old 11th September 2010
Banned

The current maintainer, or well, past maintainer.. Deanna Phillips, has pretty much given up on work involved maintaining gnash (..it is rather large, lots of dependencies).

Waiting for someone else to do it isn't really the right mentality, try doing the work to and send it to the ports mailing list and ask Deanna to takeover maintainership.

Or you can just wait until Flash is rendered useless by wishful thinking, that's what I do, the sooner the better.
Old 11th September 2010
Arp Constable

My formal computer experience is from a high school course in Basic and a college elective in Pascal back in the days of punch cards. Anything beyond that was picked up from FAQ's, wiki's, howto's, forums and man pages.
I have a feeling the gnash port would be a little much to bite off trying to learn about porting to OpenBSD. Any semblance of a code review is beyond me.

I too would not mind seeing html5 do away with the complexity of flash pages.

I observe that there are alot of interests that still support flash content while Steve Jobs still states (I believe correctly) that it is a buggy security hole.

One of the more notable examples of the pervasiveness of those who market macromedia/adobe flash is that my online banking requires flash. This amazes me given its security history.

Last edited by shep; 11th September 2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling/punctuation
Old 12th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
The current maintainer, or well, past maintainer.. Deanna Phillips, has pretty much given up on work involved maintaining gnash (..it is rather large, lots of dependencies).
Deanna Phillips has given up on Flash not due to the lack of her time or competence. She is a very, very competent computer scientists. She has given up because Gnash developers are assholes (her words) who care only about GNU ideology and fighting Microsoft. According to her Gnash developers were actively discussing dropping support for non-Linux and non-Windows platforms. Her patches were rejected on numerous occasions. On one occasion her patch was rejected because Gnash developers felt that Windows port should have the highest priority and they didn't want to waist their time with such an obscure OS like OpenBSD.

With a bit of search you can find the version of her story on the Internet. (it was either posted on misc or as a comment for a relatively recent OpenBSD journal article.)
Old 12th September 2010
Arp Constable

The Gnash developers are always going to be at least one step behind Adobe and as time goes on the OpenBSD port will lose functionality. From what you describe, I would only encourage my worst enemies to become the OpenBSD port maintainer for Gnash.

The OP of this thread likely had no idea what he was getting into and in the absence of the subsequent information provided by Oko would just decide that OpenBSD doesn't work very well.

A thought on how to deal with this might be to adapt what Slackware does.
They maintain a "Testing" and "Pasture" section.

I think Gnash would be appropriate for "Testing"
As an example of port that would be appropriate for "Pasture" I would nominate FBpanel. I believe the FBpanel developer joined the LXDE project and used the FBpanel code as a base for LXpanel. The FBpanel appears to be essentially archived with no active development. I submitted a patch I found to the maintainer who applied the patch and promptly resigned
Quote:
2009-05-30 15:34:16 by Landry Breuil | Files touched by this commit (2)

Log message:
Fix issue where all desktop files were duplicated in menus, due to
g_get_system_data_dirs() reporting usr/local/share twice, cf
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func...31&atid=513125
Reported & fix found by "J. Scott Heppler" ****** at earthlink.net,
thanks!
While here, drop maintainership. I don't want to be responsible for
an app with such a crappy code.
In my opinion FBpanel should be put out to pasture (or dropped) and the current FBpanel port maintainer should look hard at LXpanel
Old 20th March 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Deanna Phillips has given up on Flash not due to the lack of her time or competence. She is a very, very competent computer scientists. She has given up because Gnash developers are assholes (her words) who care only about GNU ideology and fighting Microsoft. According to her Gnash developers were actively discussing dropping support for non-Linux and non-Windows platforms. Her patches were rejected on numerous occasions. On one occasion her patch was rejected because Gnash developers felt that Windows port should have the highest priority and they didn't want to waist their time with such an obscure OS like OpenBSD.

With a bit of search you can find the version of her story on the Internet. (it was either posted on misc or as a comment for a relatively recent OpenBSD journal article.)
I am resurrecting this post in order to give an update on the status of Gnash 0.8.9.
on OpenBSD. It seems that Gnash developers have read Diana's (or maybe this) rant and have really push hard to improve specifically Gnash compatibility with OpenBSD. The new version Gnash 0.8.9 which is just released specifically mention in its release notes improvements on OpenBSD. Brad has already posted update diff on ports@openbsd which is not committed due to some minor problems with shared libraries. I anticipate that the port will be committed in next couple of days. All of you who have been bitching about lack of Flash for OpenBSD (myself included) should install 4.9 snapshots and give Gnash really hard spin.

Oko
Old 24th March 2011
Fdisk Soldier

I'll take a whack at it, but WRT gnash, my eye is mighty jaundiced indeed.