DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Default Revision Control Software

For years the *BSD projects (among many others) used primarily CVS for revision control. I think I noticed that FreeBSD either is going to or has already migrated to Subversion. And OpenBSD is working on OpenCVS, a BSD licensed CVS replacement (goodbye GNU! - maybe all the BSD projects will start using this). I'm wondering what are the reasonings behind which revision control software is used.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
Banned

As always, there will always be different opinions on such matters.. FreeBSD is in a strange boat, they appear to maintain several repositories.. perforce, cvs and svn.. and possibly git.

http://perforce.freebsd.org/
http://svn.freebsd.org/
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/

Personally, I like SVN.. but I don't dislike CVS either.

Is the following useful? or are you just seeking speculation? because.. that's pretty much all you'll find here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ntrol_software
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
I'm wondering what are the reasonings behind which revision control software is used.
CVS is common because it is the oldest & most prevalent of the (Open Source) revision control systems. However, CVS is not perfect, & Subversion was developed to fix many of the ills of CVS, plus be more user-friendly & extensible.

Development of OpenCVS is motivated by having a BSD-licensed equivalent, & has been in development for many years. I don't know all of the reasons why it is still in the percolation stage, but I recall discussion on OpenBSD's misc@ mailing list that they were wanting to ensure robustness & the ability to be drop in replacement for the GNU version -- which means that they are having to duplicate the myriad of bugs that the GNU version has as well.

If you are looking for a definitive answer, I'm not sure you will find one, however, the first place to look is study the archives of misc@. http://marc.info is a tremedous tool for searching not only the various OpenBSD mailing lists, but other *BSD's as well.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2009
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
As always, there will always be different opinions on such matters.. FreeBSD is in a strange boat, they appear to maintain several repositories.. perforce, cvs and svn.. and possibly git.
The official VCS for FreeBSD is now Subversion. That's where the official source tree lives.

They also provide CVS access, mainly to support csup. This will remain until such time as they find a csup-like method ffor retrieving the source/ports/docs trees from Subversion.

Perforce is for private development by committers, as a testing ground for things that aren't yet ready for public testing/use. Once things are proven in perforce, they are moved over to Subversion and/or released as a public patchset for testing. I believe the plan is to move away from Perforce and into private branches in Subversion, but I can't find anything official on this.

There are a couple of different project underway to provide git access, but there's nothing officially supported by The FreeBSD Project for this. This is just a bunch of developers who prefer git and want to have access to the source tree via git.

There's also a bunch of people trying to do the same via Mercurial.

There's a couple of threads in the freebsd-current mailing list from around November-ish 2008 that details all the reasons for the changes from CVS to Subversion.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.