DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2009
vigol

Default GCC in src tree or in ports tree

Does The GCC that contained in "src" is complete/Comprehensive or I should to obtain GCC/GLIBC from "ports" too? (I just use C/C++ compiler & Library [glibc] )
I suppose that the "src" tree must contain gcc, atleast for "Make" utility". Am I right?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2009
Tcpdump Spy

You don't need to GCC from ports in order to compile C/C++ programs, the version of GCC distributed with FreeBSD is fine.

Also note there are multiple flavors of make, which are not always compatible. Probably the most popular version is GNU Make (devel/gmake) which is not the same as the make flavor that ships with FreeBSD.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2009
Arp Constable

You should only use one of the lang/gccXY ports when you need GCC version X.Y.* and can't live without it.

If you release your software in FreeBSD ports with a dependency on GCC, you mayl also be cursed at if there isn't good reason, and I don't mean extra --flags :-P. I know I cuss at having to keep lang/gcc45 installed because of some port that requires it.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.