DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th May 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Arrow Chatting with OpenBSD's Stefan Sperling @ DistroWatch

DistroWatch contributer Jesse Smith interviews OpenBSD developer Stefan Sperling.

Quote:
In an ever-changing world where technology moves forward so rapidly, there is something to be said for projects which focus on stability and security. One of the best examples of such a project is OpenBSD, an operating system which has had only two remote holes in its default install “in a heck of a long time”. The OpenBSD team is busy gearing up for the 4.7 release due out in May. The new release carries many enhancements, including better hardware support, improved network stack and new OpenSSH features. One of the developers, Stefan Sperling, took time out of his busy day to share of his personal views about the OS.

DW: Could you start by telling us a little bit about yourself, where you're from and how you got involved with BSD?

SS: I'm Stefan Sperling, born and living in Berlin, Germany. I started using BSD in my early 20s, using FreeBSD as a desktop system. Later I was introduced to OpenBSD by OpenBSD developer grunk@. I used FreeBSD on the desktop and OpenBSD on the laptop for some time. When I moved to Ireland for my final year of college I didn't bring the desktop machine. I did not mind leaving FreeBSD behind because of their permissive policy on binary blobs, and also because I had more luck submitting patches to OpenBSD.

DW: When did you start working on OpenBSD?

SS: I became an OpenBSD developer while doing my Master's degree on software development for computer networks. My main project for this degree was to improve the work-in-progress OSPF for IPv6 implementation in OpenBSD. I have been working on ospf6d together with OpenBSD developer claudio@ since. My work on it slowed down after I graduated, but I still like working on it as time permits.

Click here to read the full interview.

Tags
distrowatch, interview, jesse smith, openbsd, stefan sperling