DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2018
Port Guard

Default Iridium Browser

Anyone have experience with Iridium Browser?

I know that it's a browser with security in mind and focuses on removing google's data gathering, but how functional is it as an everyday browser?

I read that it has a lot of issues with videos and sounds due to the lack of codecs ? Furthermore, if you use gmail or any services that require Google sign-in; the lack of Google API key will render you unable to utilize such services? So no gmail either?

Does anyone have experience with Iridium by any chance? How has your experience been with the browser and what kind of nuances are you encountering?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2018
Arp Constable

It is a fork of Google Chrome and the developers tout that they have removed most of Google's data harvesting.

I cannot not vouch for how much security/privacy is improved by the code deletions but do find it is every bit as stable and responsive as Google Chrome. It is my primary Browser on my -current box. On my -stable box, I use firefox due to the availability of updates
https://packages.rhaalovely.net/6.3/

I do not use any Google services (email) and have no problem with online banking, etc.

Last edited by shep; 24th July 2018 at 04:31 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

I've just reinstalled it. Have played with it a few months ago, when 6.3 came out.

To be honest, the settings menu drives me nuts.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th July 2018
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therue View Post
Does anyone have experience with Iridium by any chance? How has your experience been with the browser and what kind of nuances are you encountering?
It is one of the browsers I use. I usually use Otter, because Iridium is too heavy for my liking. However, Iridium works fine and I need it for a few websites that give Otter trouble. Overall it is a good browser.

Quote:
I read that it has a lot of issues with videos and sounds due to the lack of codecs ?
It can display many more videos than Otter can.

Quote:
I know that it's a browser with security in mind and focuses on removing google's data gathering, but how functional is it as an everyday browser?

Furthermore, if you use gmail or any services that require Google sign-in; the lack of Google API key will render you unable to utilize such services? So no gmail either?
This seems contradictory. If one does not want Google to gather one's information, why would one use Google's services? If Google keeping a copy of every message sent to and from Gmail does not concern someone, why would their search engine gathering data be a worry?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2018
ISO Quartermaster

People are also answering you where you posted the same question on FreeBSD forums.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/i...browser.66788/
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2018
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
It is one of the browsers I use. I usually use Otter, because Iridium is too heavy for my liking. However, Iridium works fine and I need it for a few websites that give Otter trouble. Overall it is a good browser.

It can display many more videos than Otter can.

This seems contradictory. If one does not want Google to gather one's information, why would one use Google's services? If Google keeping a copy of every message sent to and from Gmail does not concern someone, why would their search engine gathering data be a worry?
:P you have a point.

anyone have a suggestion for an alternative email provider? is protonmail still considered the best option?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2018
Spam Deminer

My main account is with GMX. They are pretty good.I also have an account with Hushmail. The downside is the free service cannot go more than three weeks without logging in or the account is closed.
I also use Yandex occasionally. I have no idea what their respect for privacy is, so I use them for messages that are not important.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2018
Too dumb for a smartphone

There was also some discussion in this thread: Recommendations for a U.S. Email Service provider.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th July 2018
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
To be honest, the settings menu drives me nuts.
Agreed. I took it for a test drive and promptly removed it from my system. I'll stick with FF.
Spikes in tights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
Agreed. I took it for a test drive and promptly removed it from my system. I'll stick with FF.
The funny thing is, it does have an "experimental settings" menu which is a lot less annoying:
Code:
chrome://flags
If only there were a switch to access the main settings menu with the same interface.

Btw, complete settings are here:
Code:
chrome://about
Old 5th August 2018
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by therue View Post
Anyone have experience with Iridium Browser?

I read that it has a lot of issues with videos and sounds due to the lack of codecs ? Furthermore, if you use gmail or any services that require Google sign-in; the lack of Google API key will render you unable to utilize such services? So no gmail either?

I just installed it yesterday, seems ok . I have not tried looking at any videos yet, that may be awhile, my ISP is very slow , limited band width so I generally avoid videos,youtube,etc.
I was having a lot of trouble with both FF and Seamonkey taking forever to load, ever since I upgraded to 6.3, and at least Iridium Browser loads quickly. This is important to me
because I don't like to just leave the browser running all day,... when I want to check a site/forum, or my e-mail , I start the browser, look at what I need to and exit/close it. It was annoying to have to wait 10-15 minuets, just to read a few new posts , which only takes a couple of minuets.
Since I don't use gmail, and sites that require a Google API key very much , that is sort of a non issue, however no big deal, if need be I can start another browser, go do some chores, and then once it is loaded , go to that site.
So far Iridium Browser seems ok, it may take a few days to see for sure....
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryR View Post
I was having a lot of trouble with both FF and Seamonkey taking forever to load, ever since I upgraded to 6.3, and at least Iridium Browser loads quickly.
Try Otter. It will load even quicker, because it is much more light-weight. Midori is lighter still and loads even quicker, but has a problem with crashing. That is why I usually Otter. It is much more dependable.
Old 6th August 2018
parrot

Thanks, I will give it a try,.....So far this Iridium seems ok though.
Daemonology student

Quote:
Try Otter. [...] That is why I usually Otter. It is much more dependable.
Great choice!

Quote:
Midori is lighter still and loads even quicker, but has a problem with crashing.
There hasn't been much development in the past few years. Plus it's still based on GTK2/WebKit by default AFAIK (not very good). GTK3 support is still in its infancy.
Spikes in tights

Occasionally I play a bit with Iridium. Although I'm still in the Firefox camp, I have to admit Iridium has the better scrollbar. Firefox's animated slide-in abomination makes me want to kill a kitten every time I use it.
Old 10th August 2018
parrot

Well, now I have been using the Iridium Browser 5 days,.... at first it seemed real nice and I liked it,
but just late yesterday, and last night I started getting some very weird behaviour. Since I installed
Iridium, shortly after upgrading to OpenBsd6.3, this is going to be difficult, it is hard to say for sure if the "weird behaviour." is related to Iridium, or something in the upgrade. I suspect it is just in Iridium, because now, I switched back to Seamonkey, waited for it to load,... and I am not getting the
strange behaviour. Obviously more details on the "weird behaviour" is needed, hopefully later today
I can give a better explanation,... mostly it involves when I try to select/copy and paste text, while using the browser,... also last night, Iridium crashed, and I found myself unable to even use the key board or mouse,... I had to shutdown, "power off" and reboot to escape, not a good way I know, but when the keyboard and mouse can no longer communicate with the PC, I don't know of any other way,... any way, lot's of chores to do right now, later I will try to give more details.
Arp Constable

I get random *.core dumps with both FF and Iridium. I have not developed an impression that one is worse than the other. My understanding is that some core dumps are due to privilege violations. What is worse; a core dump or obliviously continuing in the face of a massive memory leak?. Keyboard/mouse lockups are rare but do occur. My case power button will still initiate a shutdown sequence.
Old 10th August 2018

Another option for keyboard/mouse lockups can be to ssh in from the LAN, if available. This can allow investigation, killing of processes, or a shutdown.
Old 10th August 2018
parrot

Thanks shep, at least that shows it is not just me,

@IdOp
thanks as well, I would need to boot a laptop, and see if I could get in via ssh, and the wifi,...
When the wifi is turned on I can access that was via the laptop. The thing of it is I usually have the wifi turned off, maybe I should turn it on , and have the laptop ready to try....
There is this error, that appears in the console:
Code:
error: [drm:pid99872:intel_pipe_update_start] *ERROR* Potential atomic update failure on pipe A
Also I remember another topic, where a similar error was occurring, but just now finished my chores, and still have not had breakfast,... so will look at that later,... bah, just noticed, it is after noon, and I have not had breakfast!

It's hard to give more specific suggestions without knowing your setup (and going off topic). You know that best, but generally it's good to think about work-arounds and how to be resourceful in a pinch. Usually of course we only recognize these needs when it's already too late.

My LAN is mostly wired. I only turn the wireless on to transfer files to/from the tablet, which is rarely. In fact I usually don't even have the LAN switch running.

Have a good breakfast, that has to come before even computing!