DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 17th October 2008
New User

I run FreeBSD 7 on my fujitsu-siemens s7010d laptop. I use it mainly for eductional purposes (coding, writing etc), also for irc and surfing the web. freebsd works great for all my purposes
Old 19th October 2008
BSD gamer

FreeBSD runs my main desktop machine, and I find it absolutely perfect for that purpose.

Day to day use? Let's see here...

-Text-editing/essay writing/some very light coding in Emacs

-tcsh, because I hate bash

-KOffice, for when I have to make my school papers look "pretty"

-Web Browsing on lynx, links, Firefox, and Opera

-youtube-dl, because I don't use Flash

-prboom, because I still play Doom

-chocolate-doom, because, uhh... I really like to play Doom

-FCE Ultra, for Nintendo games

-Audacious

-Mplayer and Kaffiene

...and some other really boring things which nobody cares about.

I also hope to, when I can gather up enough old 386's, use FreeBSD in a cluster of some sort. It sounds like fun to me.
Old 19th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snes-addict View Post
I also hope to, when I can gather up enough old 386's, use FreeBSD in a cluster of some sort. It sounds like fun to me.
Go for 386BSD. I wouldn't advise FreeBSD on anything less than an i586 nowadays, even a 486 will be tough, but a 386 just won't work. Anyways, you can get i686 class Pentium-2/K6 stuff readily nowadays and have a lot of advantages, so you're much better off doing that than using 386s or even 486s.
Old 19th October 2008
BSD gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
Go for 386BSD. I wouldn't advise FreeBSD on anything less than an i586 nowadays, even a 486 will be tough, but a 386 just won't work. Anyways, you can get i686 class Pentium-2/K6 stuff readily nowadays and have a lot of advantages, so you're much better off doing that than using 386s or even 486s.
Er, yeah, sorry, I have this tendancy to call all 32-bit x86's 386. Just a side effect of using *BSD/i386 branches, I guess. The oldest machine I have in my possession currently is an old Compaq-486. And yeah, I'm probably not even going to include that one. I can't even get FreeDOS to boot from floppy, much less the CD!
Old 19th October 2008
Port Guard

Default I use FBSD for

personal use.

gateway
firewall
name server
dhcp
smtp/pop server
print server
nfs backup server for the other computers
workstation
personal software project in spare time - perl, CGI, mysql, C++ ports via SWIG (eventually)
Old 26th October 2008
New User

At the moment I'm using FreeBSD to learn about FreeBSD

My main OS is GNU/Linux Debian, but I wanted to try something else. So far I've had a pretty good experience with FreeBSD. Not too different from what I'm used to in many ways, so I'm doing most thing I've been doing in Debian without much hassle in FreeBSD. This includes e.g. webbrowsing with Firefox and lynx, torrents with Transmission, text processing with LaTeX, text editing with vim, news with slrn, mail with mutt, mplayer for video playback, mencoder for video transcoding and DVD ripping, mpd/sonata for audio playback, audacity for audio editing, gimp/imagemagick for image manipulation, bash for file management and all... The list is endless.

I'm also planning to deploy FreeBSD as a router, using a Soekris machine. This then will also include mail/web/print serving.
Old 28th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I use FBSD as a replacement for OpenServer. Actually I liked OpenServer a lot, but issues with upgrades irked me sufficiently to try FBSD, and now there's no going back! I still have minor issues with the iBCS2 system, but I can live with them.
Old 28th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

As an off-topic addition to the above - What would I like to use FBSD for? A PVR using the cheap USB dvb-t tuners (type Freecom) I currently have to use WinXP for.

I tried the various purpose-made Linux 'distros', hahaha, oh dear oh dear.
Old 28th October 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrmgreen View Post
As an off-topic addition to the above - What would I like to use FBSD for? A PVR using the cheap USB dvb-t tuners (type Freecom) I currently have to use WinXP for.

I tried the various purpose-made Linux 'distros', hahaha, oh dear oh dear.
Maybe you could try this FreeBSD Dvb-t driver (Freecom):

http://raaf.atspace.org/dvbusb/
Fdisk Soldier

>Maybe you could try this FreeBSD Dvb-t driver (Freecom):
>
> http://raaf.atspace.org/dvbusb/

I tried that a while back, but couldn't make it work. I hear there is some movement on these things at Sourceforge but I'm not up-to-speed with that development. Thanks anyway.
Old 29th October 2008
Port Guard

I have two FreeBSD servers at work
first server is set up as our inhouse email server and has apache set up as our test bed for our website before it goes live online.

second server was set to be the backup email server for the primary till they wanted me to stop doing that and set up dansguardian on it, then not use it...go figure...

both are freebsd 6.2 stable

i also have an old p3 system with openbsd on it just to play around with. I would have liked to have a BSD system on my laptop, but since all the GM sites I have to do work from that only work well in IE, i had no choice but to put vista back on it...though i am looking into dual booting it
Old 23rd February 2009
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumScum View Post
At the moment I'm using FreeBSD to learn about FreeBSD

My main OS is GNU/Linux Debian, but I wanted to try something else. So far I've had a pretty good experience with FreeBSD. Not too different from what I'm used to in many ways, so I'm doing most thing I've been doing in Debian without much hassle in FreeBSD. This includes e.g. webbrowsing with Firefox and lynx, torrents with Transmission, text processing with LaTeX, text editing with vim, news with slrn, mail with mutt, mplayer for video playback, mencoder for video transcoding and DVD ripping, mpd/sonata for audio playback, audacity for audio editing, gimp/imagemagick for image manipulation, bash for file management and all... The list is endless.

I'm also planning to deploy FreeBSD as a router, using a Soekris machine. This then will also include mail/web/print serving.
In the meantime FreeBSD became my main desktop OS at home, happily used with my wife and kids as well

I am now reading the Absolute FreeBSD book by M. Lucas; damn this FreeBSD is an interesting OS!
Old 24th February 2009
The World is Yours.

FreeBSD runs my fileserver for Videos/Music. I have a xp thinkpad hooked to the TV which runs XBMC and has the video/music server mounted as drives V: and M: respectively, and I have uTorrent on another computer which uses an RSS feed to automatically download new episodes of House/Fringe/King of the Hill to the same fileserver. It's a great setup, I can come home, turn on the tv, and use a remote control to watch new episodes without ever having to know that I'm really on a computer.
Old 24th February 2009
Banned

Rendering, testing, (trying to port when I can get to it) virtualbox- yeah, still with the same roadblock.As a desktop and at times as a web development environment for my girlfriend.