DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2009
Arp Constable

Default how can I get a core file out of this program

I've taken an interest in a Qt/Webkit based browser called Arora, the only major problems being it loads pages slow as crap and occasionally crashes (without core file). It has a great restore-last-session feature, but I'd rather know what causes the crash. The only way I can think of to go about it, compile it with debugging information and do a postmortem on it after a crash.

My shell session and default login class are granted unlimited size on core file sizes, but how do I actually make the process dump core whenever it crashs?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2009
Fdisk Soldier

You could also compile the program with debugging information, start the program and attach the running process to gdb.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2009
Arp Constable

Compiling it with debugging information is the easy part ;-)

attaching gdb to it at run time though, I don't think is something I want to do. The crashes happen intermitently as if for know reason, and I've yet to get enough data to try and track down what causes it based on input. Attaching GDB seems to "lock" the program so to speak; killing the ability to run Arora interactively, which would make it trickier to debug without having to generate a simulation by scripting gdb.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2009
Fdisk Soldier

Yoy’re right. Attaching gdb to the process requires at least that you know how to reproduce the crash.
AFAIK, the task of dumping a core depends entirely on the OS, provided that all sysctls are set correctly.
If there is no signal handler, a default is set which means that dumping the core is the default behaviour. Not doing so means that either there is a signal handler which tells explicitly to the program to ignore the signal or that there is no crash at all.
One way or another, I would try to see how to trigger the crash.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2009
Arp Constable

Ahh, found it.

# sysctl kern.core=1

core dumps on, thanks.

Tags
browser crash, core files