DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 9th November 2008
UNIX lover

>This is a question about the above with 7.0-release, whether you have to have 7.0-stable or current.

You have to use a fairly recent stable or current (arround 15 October+). You could download e.g. beta 2 of 7.1 and update world. Sometimes npviewer.bin can hang, Linux Flash 9 isn't the best etc. But you can easily killall npviewer.bin.
Fdisk Soldier

so it depends on something more than what is in /sys/compat? in some way?
Old 9th November 2008
UNIX lover

Yes of course, they did some work on Linuxulator too. Flash 9 wouldn't be possible without it.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/s...er/000010.html
Fdisk Soldier

ok. I was hoping that these were such peripheral parts that you could just pick certain parts of sys/compat/linux and /sys/i386/linux or whatever and recompile
Old 18th January 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Add this to /etc/make.conf:
Code:
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8
linux_base-fc4 seems to work fine too (CURRENT Jan 17) for me, haven't tested it extensively though.
Arp Constable

Has anything improved with flash 9 on FreeBSD?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 24th January 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Has anything improved with flash 9 on FreeBSD?
I'm running linux-flash 9 on linux-opera 9.63, it runs well.
Shell Scout

FreeBSD 7.1 + flashplayer 9 + nspluginwrapper + linux_base-f8 == no problems here too

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
Old 17th March 2009
Port Guard

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
I'm tacking on this (closely related) article I spotted on freebsdnews.net today:

Flash 9 for FreeBSD 7.1
http://crnl.org/blog/2008/11/01/flash-9-for-freebsd-71
Following the instructions in the link I was able to get flash9 working using linux_base-fc4. No problems yet.
Old 21st March 2009
Spam Deminer

Flash 9 works without any problems for me with linux_base-fc4 and linuxulator 2.4.2. I experienced instability with nspluginwrapper while using linux_base-f8 and linuxulator 2.6.16. I'm sure that linuxulator 2.6.16 and linux_base-f8 aren't the major sources of the problem, since the instability comes from npviewer crashing/hanging. Nspluginwrapper pulls in certain linux-* ports as dependencies. Therefore, I think the instability results from the incompatibility between these ports and the newer linux_base-f8 port. Maybe nspluginwrapper port hasn't been updated for the newer linux_base-f8.
Old 22nd March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks for the post. I've been trying Flash9 on a new (old) box using fc6 and f8 with 7-STABLE and xorg 7.4. While Flash9 does work, it is terribly unstable, and not all the features work.

Have you found it to be more stable with 2.4? Do all the features work as you would expect, such as using the full screen? Does it freeze every time you leave a flash video without shutting it down properly?
Old 22nd March 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Thanks for the post. I've been trying Flash9 on a new (old) box using fc6 and f8 with 7-STABLE and xorg 7.4. While Flash9 does work, it is terribly unstable, and not all the features work.

Have you found it to be more stable with 2.4? Do all the features work as you would expect, such as using the full screen? Does it freeze every time you leave a flash video without shutting it down properly?
Thanks for the update. By the way even FreeBSD Handbook is amended with the section about Flash 9 installation. I also noticed in release notes for PC-BSD 7.1 that they have fc4 linux comp. Maybe that is another indication that fc8 is not stable enough.
Old 22nd March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

I should clarify a bit. If all you want to do is watch flash without doing anything to it, then it seems to work OK. However, you can't shuttle around in it using the usual slider bar, nor can you change the screen size. You also have to pause the video or wait for it to finish when you want to exit the page, or else the browser hangs.

killall npviewer.bin works well enough, but I have to clean out core dumps pretty regularly. I'd rather not have to do so.

I should add that the audio/video synchronization is much, much better than it was with Flash7. This really is a pleasure.

Maybe 2.4 works better?
Old 22nd March 2009
Spam Deminer

Flash 9 in linuxulator 2.4.2 works perfectly. I tested Youtube just for kicks. I was expecting horrid crashes that I had experienced with linux_base-f8 and 2.6.16. There were none. I tested standard videos, high quality videos, and hd videos. Everything was perfect. I even used the sound panel and the slider and pause/play buttons. Everything is perfect. I watched videos for about 2 hours and I didn't have any slowdowns or crashes. In fact, it worked better than it in Debian because once or twice Flash made Debian lock up on my machine a couple of days ago. Flash 9 is rock-solid with 2.4.2 and fc4.
Old 22nd March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Back to 2.4 tomorrow, then. I'll report back on how it differs.
Old 22nd March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

So 2.4 is installed, and Flash does indeed seem to work much better. I've just tried a few sites so far, but there have been no issues with moving around in a video or hanging on exit. Full-screen works more often than it doesn't -- it seems to be site-dependent.

Overall this is a very big improvement.

These are just preliminary results, but certainly they are very encouraging.
Old 22nd March 2009
UNIX lover

>Full-screen works more often than it doesn't -- it seems to be site-dependent.

I see this problem in Slackware too sometimes. The above mentioned problems with Debian are related to Iceweasel in my opinion. Iceweasel is like cdrkit a pain in the backside - some people shouldn't fork anything.

I'll try the option with 2.4 too, at the moment I see the problem among the Linux mess in ports. Hope this is of any use in stable.
ISO Quartermaster

One other up-side is that Google Earth works once again. It would seg fault with f8.
Old 22nd March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Linux-Opera works properly now too.

I'd say that f8 is not quite ready for prime time.
Old 1st April 2009
New User

anyone on AMD64?
I get:
Code:
foghorn# nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
Auto-install plugins from /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/libnpflash.so: 
wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
A