DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2018
Shell Scout

Default OpenBSD hardware compatible

Is there a laptop that is 100% hardware compatible with OpenBSD?
Something like Free Software Foundation has for Linux laptop compatibility.
I'm asking because whichever hardware I put my hands on has some compatibility issue. To be honest, these are always some sort of old "found it here and there" hardware but still.
I would like to buy a laptop that doesn't say "not configured" during boot

any ideas?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2018
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

I can recommend a ThinkPad X201:
Code:
Puffy:~$ dmesg|grep not
"LEN0018" at acpi0 not configured
"SMO1200" at acpi0 not configured
"PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
acpidock0 at acpi0: GDCK not docked (0)
"Intel 3400 MEI" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
Puffy:~$
The last line is for the management engine so I'm quite pleased with that
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2018
parrot

Edited: === ThinkPad ====
In the thread I link to below,at the end of my post, there are a lot of think pad listed:
Quote:
Here's my OpenBSD Thinkpad W520 with Intel Quad Core i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM, and NVIDIA Quadro 1000M with 96 CUDA cores and Optimus Technology. Where I had to work to get Optimus lined out on FreeBSD, OpenBSD handled it with no problem:
==================== end edit ========

There seem to be quite a few, I have 2 HP laptops, kind of old, 1 is the "pavillion entertainment pc", the other is a larger one, since I have not had to travel for some time now, and both are kind of "put away",
I mean , to get the exact specs I would have to get them out, and check, but any way, I had no problems installing OpenBsd on them, but this was a few years ago as well, 5.4 or 5.7, (don't remember now),...the Pavillion has 6.2 on it.
Did some searches , and find :
Quite a few mention the Thinkpads,
Quote:
OpenBSD on the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon (5th Gen)
posted to writings on sep 1st, 2017 with tags laptops, nerd, openbsd, and thinkpad, last updated on sep 4th, 2017

ThinkPads have sort of a cult following among OpenBSD developers and users because the hardware is basic and well supported, and the keyboards are great to type on.
Also , I was surprised , but apparently Apple mac, and PowerPC are popular choices with developers:
https://www.openbsd.org/want.html
Quote:
We try to spread these types of devices around our development community.

Laptops. These die often enough that as a group our needier developers need help replacing about 2-3 per year.
Apple Mac powerpc equipment.
HP J6750 machines (J6700 is the second best choice).
I also have a Dell Inspiron, and had no problems, OpenBsd "just worked", when I installed it, so I guess that is 100% compatible, ?

Some thing to keep in mind though, especially on newer laptops and even Desktop PS's, if you buy one in a popular store, with MS windows pre-installed, a lot of these are built and designed to be specific to microsoft, and by design they are made to not be compatible with anything except Microsoft products, that does not mean they can not be change and made compatible, but it would make it more difficult.

There is this thread, here on the forum: http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880
It lists quite a few that seemed to be 100% compatible, others with minor problems that needed to be fixed as well.
For example this one mentions HP:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880#post60860
Quote:
My old HP G62 laptop. It has a dual core 2.2 GHz CPU, 4 GB RAM, a 400GB HD. Everything works out of the box on OpenBSD 6.0/amd.
==== edited again=====
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1880#post60662
Quote:
myself>> I just installed OpenBsd 6.00 to this HP Pavillion (entertainment pc)
OpenBox WM, and some of the XFCE utilities, it is really working good.
I had been using OpenBsd for some time now, but on a VM, this is the first time
I have installed it on a Laptop, and managed to even get the wifi working,.... actually
it "just worked",... so I am happy about this.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 3rd May 2018 at 09:01 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2018
Port Guard

I have used it on two Thinkpads, the x230 and the T410. All of the keys worked out of the box except the "Thinkpad" button, which I honestly don't know what that is for.

The downside with the Thinkpads is that they whitelist the hardware. So if you change the internal wifi card, it will refuse to boot. But if you don't care about that, they are fine machines.

I would recommend x230, or T530 series. I think that version is when they got smart enough to stop charging the battery when it is full. They are cheap and easy to work on (not true for some of the earlier models).They support 16G of RAM, which I seem to remember sometime after that (not sure when) Lenovo dropped it back down to 8G.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2018
OpenBSD language porter

Gonna make a plug for http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/ whenever you want to check out hardware (and don't forget to add your own dmesgs!) You'll be surprised just how many different pieces of hardware people have tried, and how well many of them work.

Full disclosure: I'm part of NYC*BUG admin. I think most people know this already, but doesn't hurt to repeat.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2018
Shell Scout

Thanks a lot! I'm especially keen on thinkpads - t430s/t440s or DELL e63xx/e64xx so I will look for those in your posts and dmesgs.
Any suggestions for 3G/LTE WWAN cards? I know about man umsm, but any particular that you find flawless?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2018
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiroot View Post
Thanks a lot! I'm especially keen on thinkpads - t430s/t440s...
My W520 runs OpenBSD 6.3 and has the old style Thinkpad keyboard. Models after that, such as the ones you specify, have what's known as the "Chiclets keyboard" and aren't as highly regarded

I also have an IBM Thinkpad T43 running OpenBSD 6.3 that is a pleasure to type on, but a little underpowered for everyday desktop use.

I have 6 Thinkpads total. 2 T61, 1 X61, 1 T400 and the 2 mentioned above. Of them all, I prefer my T61 with 15'4 widescreen and is what I use most. All have the old style keyboard.

I just got my T400 not long ago and would rather have had a another T61. It's my least favorite.

There is a Thinkpad Wiki where it details all the models nicely, and what I use when looking to buy:

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:Models
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2018
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
I can recommend a ThinkPad X201:
Code:
Puffy:~$ dmesg|grep not
"LEN0018" at acpi0 not configured
"SMO1200" at acpi0 not configured
"PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
acpidock0 at acpi0: GDCK not docked (0)
"Intel 3400 MEI" rev 0x06 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
Puffy:~$
The last line is for the management engine so I'm quite pleased with that
I get the same message on my machine that has it. Was your Thinkpad made before they introduced the management engine?