DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Default New, claustrophobic forum style: How to undo

Since creating this thread, the admin have kindly allowed us to choose the forum style. There is a drop-down at the bottom left of the page, or you can find it in the User CP under 'edit options'. The option you are looking for is right at the bottom, called 'Forum Skin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by original post
I'm sure there is someone, somewhere that will find this cramped, only-half-your-screen format desireable, but for the rest of us, could someone familiar with greasemonkey scripts code up something to restore it to sanity?
It looks like we might just need to nuke these two new styles:
Code:
.MAINWIDTH { max-width: 60em; }

pre.alt2 { max-width: 50em; }

Last edited by robbak; 18th October 2009 at 04:06 AM. Reason: editing for changes to forum design.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Or you can just be polite and just ask an Administrator is he or she can find a solution instead of posting something like this ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Banned

I happen to like the new changes, it looks nice at 1024x768.. rather tired of websites assuming ultra high definition these days.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
VPN Cryptographer

This is very much cut-and-paste-without-understanding, but it works.
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           Daemonforms full Width
// @namespace      hark
// @include        http://www.daemonforums.org/*
// ==/UserScript==
function addGlobalStyle(css) {
    var head, style;
    head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
    if (!head) { return; }
    style = document.createElement('style');
    style.type = 'text/css';
    style.innerHTML = css;
    head.appendChild(style);
}

addGlobalStyle('.MAINWIDTH { max-width: 100% ! important; } pre.alt2{ max-width: 100% ! important; } ');
OH, and CarpetSmoker: Sorry, I guess that did sound too snarky. I don't think I will be the only one to dislike it: One of the first posts on forums.freebsd.org was a greasemonkey script to set it to full-width! Hopefully, this thread will concentrate all those complaints, and get us curmudgeonly lusers to fix our own problems!

Last edited by robbak; 13th October 2009 at 03:06 AM. Reason: add edit of pre.alt2 to set code boxes to full-width as well.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
OH, and CarpetSmoker: Sorry, I guess that did sound too snarky.
Thanks. I spent several hours working on DF on the upgrade and some other stuff not immediately visible to everyone, It was late and your post didn't come over particularly well ...

Anyway -- I can just make two styles, one like this and the other like it was, and make it an user option. I considered doing that yesterday but as I mentioned it was already late, so it was already on the todo list ...
Won't happen today though, since I need to work 'till nine today...
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Shell Scout

Hi,

I would really like to see the old forum style -- I'm currently on a 17'' monitor and everything is soo small, and on my other monitor which is 20'' - even smaller

Could you please make an option at least, so users can choose between the old and the new one?

Thanks,
D

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
I would really like to see the old forum style -- I'm currently on a 17'' monitor and everything is soo small, and on my other monitor which is 20'' - even smaller
The (maximum) width should be based on character size, right now it's 60em (elements), the width of an em is roughly the width of a capital M (Interestingly, this has been the point of some discussion though).

This is how it ``should'' be done, the reason a very wide page doesn't work very well is because the eyes need to move from left-to-right a lot, which is pretty tiring -- It's long been considered good typography to arrange text in relatively small columns. Open any random newspaper or magazine and you will see the text is put in small columns, and not written across the entire page, for exactly tjhis reason.

A few years back I was editor-in-chief for a local boy scout magazine -- I once tried putting the text across the entire page ... It was not at all a success and a rather interesting lesson in typography

This is also why I set the max-width property, unlike some other pages (i.e. FreeBSD forums) which just set width to something fixed like 75% or 800px -- This layout should also work well with large fonts or small screens ...

This typography ``guideline'' or ``rule'' which has been around for more than 100 years, has been mostly ignored on the web ... Just like most other typographic guidelines & rules.

Many people are used to these over-wide not particularly well typeset webpages, IMO if you take the time to get used to this you will probably like it better ...

Anyway ... This one will probably stay the default, but as I've said before, I will make multiple styles and let people choose between them ...
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Spam Refugee

Make a two-column forum
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2009
Administrator

IMHO http://forums.freebsd.org has better width (little bigger), makes it more comfortable to read/use, at least for me.

Also the white background on gray background looks unprofessional, gray backgound all around or white backgound all around.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 13th October 2009
More noise than signal

What is this, Slashdot?
Old 18th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthre...3893#post27347

Quote:
Also the white background on gray background looks unprofessional, gray backgound all around or white backgound all around.
I fiddled with the colors, this looks best IMO.

Quote:
IMHO http://forums.freebsd.org has better width (little bigger), makes it more comfortable to read/use, at least for me.
As I mentioned before, the FreeBSD forums website set the width to 75% (Or something like that), so the width of the actual forums depends on your screen size.
Which is a very bad way to do things.
Spam Refugee

I think there is quite a big difference between e.g. weblogs and 'wordy forums' (think: long political/social discussions) on the one hand, and question/answer-type forums (usually short to-the-point posts and replies, with the occasional need for a long uninterrupted line (code, ascii drawings). I think the fluid lay-out suits this type of fourms more, whether typography agrees with that or not Thanks for restoring the 'fluid option'. If you could make an extra one that makes the width around 75% (now it's 100%, I think), that would be nice.
Old 18th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

*sigh*
Ok, we now have three styles. 75% was actually smaller on my screen than 60em, so I changed it to 80%, which is actually what the FreeBSD Forums uses.

Note that I did this becaue DutchDaemon does a good job moderating the FreeBSD Forums and because I like him, if you want some other width:
Use the UserJS/GreasyMonkey thing above, or use a UserCSS file (In Opera, not sure if FF can do this).
OR
Use the fluid width option and adjust your browser window size.
Spam Refugee

Thanks dude! Get some sleep
Old 18th October 2009
Arp Constable

Some how I can't help but feel that this entire discussion is best solved by client side CSS, period lol

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 18th October 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon View Post
Thanks dude! Get some sleep
I didn't know Rotterdam was in a different timezone.

Quote:
Some how I can't help but feel that this entire discussion is best solved by client side CSS, period lol
Maybe ... But having a brazillion UserCSS files isn't very handy -- Plus, it's not very difficult creating & maintaining a new style with a different width...
VPN Cryptographer

We are all full of difficult suggestions, I know, but here is another one: Move all headings, ads, menus, buttons and suchlike things to panels on the sides of the posts and pages, instead of top and bottoms. Then we would have a more standard and legible typography, and still make use of the acres of space that these widescreen monitors provide.
I know that that is probably impossible with the forum software, or at least, impossible to make it selectable for those with 4:3 monitors.
Anyway, I'll edit my first post to point out the new settings, so we won't have all of us greasemonkeying around with your work.
Old 18th October 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
UserCSS files isn't very handy -- Plus, it's not very difficult creating & maintaining a new style with a different width...

Oh, so creating & maintaining a new forum style for everyone who speaks up is easier then people creating their own user side CSS to change things to individual taste? I always thought that was the point of allowing a user to have a say in such matters, be it ~/.profile or a little CSS here and there! So they could make trivial customizations that need not be approved by an Admin for use by the general population.

#ifdef SARCASM_ALLOWED
I'll be sure to PM half the forum with the good news
#endif

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 20th October 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

I never noticed that there were any changes to the forum style. Go figure lol
Old 20th October 2009
Daemonology student

Me neither Maybe it's because I'm using Opera with "Fit to Width" ON and a minimum font of 12. Pages all look uniform that way.