DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Default Free Shell Server

This post is inspired by Underlegend post. I am listing Free Shell servers I am subscribed to and OS they are running. For more info please send PM.

SDF Public Access UNIX System runs NetBSD. Lifetime registration is $1. It actually hosts my personal web-site for the past 7 years. They come with free e-mail account. NetBSD has its own version of mailx which does have partial support for MIME (it supports attachments). I always wanted to port it to OpenBSD in particularly after Heirloom Mailx become inactive and s-nail guys started doing crazy things with s-nail.

http://devio.us/ free OpenBSD shell provider. More liberal than SDF as its allow outgoing ssh connections with free account and PHP. I use for hosting several PmWiki's of mine. Feels little bit less reliable than SDF in terms of down time.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2014
Administrator

Another one that I use is: http://silenceisdefeat.com They run OpenBSD
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
http://devio.us/ free OpenBSD shell provider. More liberal than SDF as its allow outgoing ssh connections with free account and PHP. I use for hosting several PmWiki's of mine. Feels little bit less reliable than SDF in terms of down time.
I should full disclosure that I'm one of the admins of devio.us
(I should also note that we haven't had any significant downtime in a long time.)

I should also add that we're very strict on accepting new members (this is not a "you put in username->you get account" operation). So make sure to read the sign-up policy if you want to get an account.

Last edited by ibara; 12th December 2014 at 04:31 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
I should full disclosure that I'm one of the admins of devio.us
(I should also note that we haven't had any significant downtime in a long time.)
Also full disclosure on my side. I am your user since day one. I have never experienced downtime of more than 12h IIRC and I can confirm that last year was almost zero downtime. One of PmWikis you are hosting for me is

cdysys
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2014
Fdisk Soldier

GREX is also free shell provider.

Since 2003 they use OpenBSD as their main OS platform.
But this will change in near future; as I know plans goes to FreeBSD migration.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2014
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
If you ssh to 3b2.sdf.org ; login: visitor

You can feel real AT&T 3b2/500 Unix System; based on System V R3; still running and maintain by Qwest Museum of Communications at the Duwamish Central Office in Seattle.

These machines were donated by SDF in 2009; and they were main servers from 1993 till 1998.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by muflon View Post
If you ssh to 3b2.sdf.org ; login: visitor

You can feel real AT&T 3b2/500 Unix System; based on System V R3; still running and maintain by Qwest Museum of Communications at the Duwamish Central Office in Seattle.

These machines were donated by SDF in 2009; and they were main servers from 1993 till 1998.
Man I own you a big one for that info. That is an awesome UNIX shell! That is so cool!!!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2014
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
That is an awesome UNIX shell!
There is also Twenex site; which allows You to try 'real DEC' operating system; TOPS-20.

It is a KL10B (KLH10) emulator written by Ken Harrenstein with support for 8 RH20s which could handle up to 7 or 8 RP07 disk drives (about 500mb each). Host OS for that emulation is NetBSD powered by DEC Alpha 5300.

Almost all sources and even more important tons of documentation [VAXen, PDP's, OS] is provided by bitsavers.trailing-edge.com

Master instructions about TOPS-20 [and 10]:
bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/spd/

Also there is vast amount of OpenVMS, RSX os'es; that You can still log in; through HECnet founded and maintained by: Johnny Billquist.

Salut!
Marcin
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2014
More noise than signal

Ah, TOPS-10. I recall its filesystem fondly. File metadata was stored in a Resource Information Block ("RIB"). There were two: a Prime, and a Spare.

I was also a Grex user many years ago. Many.

This is a nostalgic thread.

Last edited by jggimi; 13th December 2014 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typo, thinko, and added memories.
Old 21st December 2014
Fdisk Soldier

Ah, grex! I used them when I lived in Ann Abor. I remember when grex was just grex and they had a vote on a domain name (cyberspace.org).

So if they've been running OpenBSD for years, why the switch?

Arbornet is another one that runs FreeBSD, and is also in Ann Arbor: http://www.arbornet.org/free_shell_accounts.php

Running a free shell provider sounds like fun. You can rent a halfways decent dedicated server with software and plenty of bandwidth for $50-60 a month so it's not a huge investment dollar-wise, though I imagine weeding out abuse would be a headache. Then again, your typical abusive user is looking for cpanel on linux so they can upload their spammy scripts, not a BSD shell.

Anyone who runs one care to comment on the challenges?
Old 21st December 2014
Package Pilot

And I 'll just paste this here

http://shells.red-pill.eu/

Tags
free shell server