DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2010
Port Guard

Default Private connection class problem

Hello

It is possible NAT outgoing connection with address from the internal card ? Cause address on external interface and gateway is from private class and I would like to assign whole public class to the internal interface ..
Or can I force to make connection on router from address on internal interface?

Thanks!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkelos View Post
It is possible NAT outgoing connection with address from the internal card ?
No. Even if this was possible, you would be exposing an address which is no longer part of the segment where it is attached. What is you concerns about the external interface being an RFC1918 address?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
What is you concerns about the external interface being an RFC1918 address?
Yes Ocicat.

Thanks
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2010
Administrator

If the outside interface is a private RFC1918 address, it simply means that you are working within a larger internal network. As such, you do not have any control over what the legitimate external address may be; it has to work as a proper member of the segment in which it exists. If you change your external interface's IP address:
  • ...to something which is still valid within the parent's segment, then you risk duplicating an address which does or will exist in that same segment. This will cause problems with everyone's ARP table entries in that segment because it is no longer true that all hosts have unique IP addresses.
  • ...to some address which is not in the parent's segment, then traffic might be able to get to its defined destination, but return traffic will be routed (rightfully) elsewhere.
These are two large reasons why you can't change the IP address of your firewall's external interface. You are truly at the mercy of your provider.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Port Guard

Hi

I know why my ISP gives me private connection class to his BGP router and what does it mean. I am wondering if it is possible to go outside with public address which is assigned to internal interface ?

Thanks
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkelos View Post
I am wondering if it is possible to go outside with public address which is assigned to internal interface ?
This all depends upon the routing put in place by your ISP. You will have to ask this question to them.