DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > Feedback and Suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions We want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th December 2013
Arp Constable

Default Package lists/Config files for Lightweight Desktop/Funding Option

I saw that the forum admins were looking at funding options and had a thought of a product that the community can provide.

It is based on this FreeBSD thread.

I have put this together as a Full Featured Desktop in Debian, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Arch Linux and it is relatively hardware agnostic.

I use it as my main workstation in OpenBSD 5.4. Basic features are:
OpenBox, Tint2 configured with Osmo, Wbar configured for most common desktop tasks (Firefox-esr, Claws-Mail, rxvt-unicode w/ optional tabs, midnight commander, LibreOffice and Ncmpc). I use some terminal based apps (mc, ncmpc, gvim, gview, mutt until it began core dumping in current, abook) that I have configured for a consistent color scheme/appearence/ and updated mime types in mc. A variation could be generated using all gui based apps (leafpad editor, xfe/pcmanfm, sonata) and a lighweight office options (abiword/gnumeric/xpdf)

It would be relatively simple in OpenBSD to generate a list of packages to feed to pkg_add and post the list in addition to configuration scripts. With some thought and planning, a forum section could be set up that would provide the package list(s) and their corresponding config files. The "product" could be maintained/tweaked/updated by the community and donations solicited by those who use the product.

I am willing to provide my file list/config as a start and others (fluxbox, jwm, spectrumwm) could do the same.

Last edited by shep; 14th December 2013 at 05:00 PM.