DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

Old 20th March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
LLVM (Clang is just a front end) and ACK (Amsterdam Compiler Tollkit) is even more paintful because these are abvously not the kind of compilers suitable for creating system binaries.
What are you talking about?
ACK is unsuitable for OpenBSD development. It doesn't support anywhere near enough architectures to be given a serious look.

LLVM on the other hand, *is* suitable for exactly what you claim it's not: creating system binaries.
It's almost like there are whole operating systems out there using LLVM for exactly that.
Old 20th March 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
ACK is unsuitable for OpenBSD development. It doesn't support anywhere near enough architectures to be given a serious look.

LLVM on the other hand, *is* suitable for exactly what you claim it's not: creating system binaries.
It's almost like there are whole operating systems out there using LLVM for exactly that.
Looking at wikipedia, LLVM does target a number of architectures, but I don't see VAX among them. VAX seems important to OpenBSD from what I've seen on mailing lists. A very valuable developer likes it seems like.
Old 20th March 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Currently, OpenBSD uses 3 different GCC versions, depending on the architecture. Using Clang/LLVM only for the architectures where it's available, doesn't seem very far-fetched to me.
The current GCC version is closed to 6 years old. Obviously *something* needs to be done, sooner or later.

I also don't understand why Clang/LLVM wouldn't be `suitable for creating system binaries'? I've been using it for a bunch of years on my FreeBSD system, and it works pretty good.
There are a *few* programs that don't compile with either clang, mainly C++ stuff. The problem usually seems to sit in the libc++ library which differs from GCC's libstdc++, rather than the actual clang++ frontend.
I suspect most of these problems will be gone in a fairly short amount of time, though.
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Looking at wikipedia, LLVM does target a number of architectures, but I don't see VAX among them. VAX seems important to OpenBSD from what I've seen on mailing lists. A very valuable developer likes it seems like.
This is a separate issue.
Old 20th March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Currently, OpenBSD uses 3 different GCC versions, depending on the architecture.
2 now: gcc-3.3.6 and gcc-4.2.1 (both with many local patches)
Vax was upgraded to gcc-3.3.6 a while back and gcc-2.95 was removed from the tree back in August:
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=137581669314878&w=2
Old 20th March 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Have you actually bother to read my post carefully before blasting me off?
Old 20th March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Have you actually bother to read my post carefully before blasting me off?
Yes, you claimed that ACK and LLVM were unsuitable for creating system binaries. That is doubly wrong: ACK is the compiler suite for Minix3 and LLVM is the compiler for FreeBSD, among others. You know, entire operating systems.
Old 20th March 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Yes, you claimed that ACK and LLVM were unsuitable for creating system binaries. That is doubly wrong: ACK is the compiler suite for Minix3 and LLVM is the compiler for FreeBSD, among others. You know, entire operating systems.
Yes. Both compilers are NOT suitable for creating system binaries on OpenBSD.

ACK is retargetable compiler ported to very few architectures whose claim to fame include support for Pascal and Basic among other languages. Comparing Minix and OpenBSD is like comparing the airplane of Writh brothers with Boeing 787. From airspace engineering point of view Writh brothers got fluid dynamics and airodynamcis right. Still would you like to fly in their airplane to Europe?

LLVM is written in C++ (Just like GCC 4.8.2) that is pretty much where any discussion about LLVM as a system compiler for Unix-like system should end. Inspite of the fact that I use FreeBSD/FreeNAS at work I actually do not have high opinion about FreeBSD QA. If a modern file system like HAMMER 1 or 2 (when it gets written) gets ported to OpenBSD or if DragonFly BSD gets little more missing infrastructure for enterprise use I would stop using FreeBSD that very day.
Old 20th March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Both compilers are NOT suitable for creating system binaries on OpenBSD.
This statement is wrong. I'm sorry, but it is. There is no other way to say it.
Old 20th March 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
LLVM is written in C++ (Just like GCC 4.8.2) that is pretty much where any discussion about LLVM as a system compiler for Unix-like system should end.
Why? Both compilers are C++ now, so unless OpenBSD wants to maintain the pre-C++ gcc itself forever, what's it going to do other than take a C++ gcc or a C++ Clang? Clang/llvm can compile its own source code now, so there's no bootstrapping issue (or at least no impossible bootstrapping issue -- I don't doubt changing compilers would be a pita).

It's not like gcc or Clang can't still compile C, so what does OpenBSD care if either is implemented in C++? Some people seem to have serious problems with GPL 3, which I don't understand either but... well, feel free to ignore this sentence, this side of the debate, this probably isn't the place and I'm not the person for it. (I should probably try to get Hurd going and be done pretending to be a BSD person but OpenBSD is just too good.)
Old 27th March 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
It's not like gcc or Clang can't still compile C, so what does OpenBSD care if either is implemented in C++?
Well, it does make a difference to the developers. Maintainability is important, and C++ brings certain negative associations to mind, at least in some people.

It’s a shame that PCC is dead, since it has some promise. Initially it was pushed as a compiler that is easy to port to new architectures, but in the end nobody stepped up to do the work beyond i386. Still, it’s not the first time OpenBSD has considered a compiler and dropped it. Theo even considered the Plan 9 compiler once, but dropped that idea for licensing reasons.

I foresee the BSD world, including OpenBSD, moving (eventually) to clang. A compiler written in C++, with a very large codebase that takes a long time to compile and uses up all my diskspace when building itself with debug symbols doesn’t seem ideal to me—but I can’t deny how useful I’ve found clang in real‐world usage.

Personally, I find libFirm/cparser an interesting lightweight compiler project, although the fact that it’s GPL is somewhat irritating.