DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2015
Port Guard

Default snapshot, current, sysmerge

hi, i need to post another question. in my loongson machine i've installed snapshot and then using 3 day for fetched -current: cvs -d$CVSROOT checkhout -P src xenocara ports; then i updated -current: cvs -d$CVSROOT up -Pd (on src xenocara ports directory respectively): the i build the kernel, rebooted the machine and build the userland (1 day). everything without errors message.
now, according to FAQ 5.3.5, i must update /dev and /etc, whit the changes listed in http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html. because 28-feb-2015 snapshot is my starting point and in /faq/current the last change is dated 2015/02/21 i don't need to do nothing.
but i need to run sysmerge. according the FAQ 5.11.10 sysmerge(8) can use the checked-out source tree so according the /faq/upgrade56 Final Step (i can't find indication using the source tree) i think i need to run sysmerge -s /usr/src/etc -x /usr/xenocara/etc.
the problem: according the sysmerge(8) manual page -s and -x are unknown options.
so what i need to do? running sysmerge without arguments seams to start but it don't show messages and after 3-4 seconds stop. no error messages
where i'm wrong?

thank you
fstef
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2015
More noise than signal

The FAQ is for -release, and you are now on -current. See the sysmerge(8) man page on your system for the correct, simplified syntax and usage.

You will find you now should no longer need to use any options with sysmerge during typical end-user usage, whether upgrading from snapshots or building for source.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2015
Port Guard

thank you jggimi,
i read the sysmerge(8) man page a lot of time but i'm missing something. if i understand correctly the command is sysmerge -d. i tried it and it seams working but only with the etc files, whit the xetc files nothing happen.
in my /etc directory i've wsconsctl.conf. on a default installation there is no this file, it is on /etc/examples, so i'm asking to myself why sysmerge don't tell me something about this, maybe is because "Files whose reference sources have matching CVS Id are skipped from comparison"?
the last thing: according to the manual sysmerge will finish by running mtree(8) and according M.W. Lucas "Absolute OpenBSD", p.380 when sysmerge finish to work it tell you something like "Checking directory hierarchy permissions (running mtree(8))...".
when i runned sysmerge -d at the end the command don't tell me nothing.

fstef
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2015
More noise than signal

• The sysmerge shell script has changed since Absolute OpenBSD was written and published. It's a great book, and very valuable, but it is static while the OS is not.
  • The xenocara configuration files (xetc) are still managed by sysmerge, however if nothing has changed there will be nothing for you to review.
  • The /etc files that were not required by a default install were moved to /etc/examples. Prior to that, sysmerge would offer you the opportunity to revise/overwrite or merge local files with sdiff(1). Now, when the files in the examples directory change, sysmerge notifies you that they have changed. It no longer prompts you. You may merge those changes if required, either manually editing or with sdiff.
  • As /usr/sbin/sysmerge is a shell script, you may prefer to examine it to further your understanding.