DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2019
Shell Scout

Default Ranger file manager deleted home directory

deleted

Last edited by Prevet; 2nd December 2022 at 03:51 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2019
Linux

Try nnn file browser (nnn-1.8.tgz), it's the best!
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2019
Spam Deminer

Midnight Commander commands also work with Ranger. Useful if one occasionally mistypes.

F8 = delete
F7 = create directory
et cetera
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2019
parrot

Quote:
I am also thinking it might be a good idea to have a waste paper bin in OpenBSD.
There are ways to make back up copies of files and directories, and you can set up your system to do it automatically, for example:
Code:
:w Input_file_bkp
before editing.
Or, for example, BEFORE blindly clicking or typing the delete option, and then saying yes, when it tries to warn you,...
Code:
mv foodir foodir-trsh
Will move the directory "foodir" to a directory "foodir-trsh", which could be in a directory name "waste-bucket".
Code:
mv foodir  /home/anyuser/waste-bucket/foodir-trsh
====== edited =======
I am not sure this can be applied to OpenBsd, I think it could be, the main point is ranger can be configured to move the directory or files to a trash dir, (waste paper) :
Quote:
Move to trash

To add a keybind that moves files to your trash directory ~/.local/share/Trash/files/ with DD, add to ~/.config/ranger/rc.conf:
Code:
map DD shell mv %s /home/${USER}/.local/share/Trash/files/
Myself, I avoid using any GUI file managers when using the console, for the obvious reasons, as what happend to the OP, it is to easy to make a mistake, and delete something one does not want to delete. Also, I think if one must have a file manger when using the console or for example when accessing via ssh, well MC would be a better choice, in my opinion.
Quote:
so this post is more of a warning for anyone who is using Ranger.
Saying yes, after the file manager tries to warn you and asks if you are sure you want to delete a directory, is not a bug, it does what it says it will, when you say yes. I have made the same mistake myself but using other file managers , so the warning should be applied to any GUI file manager.

Last edited by PapaParrot; 22nd May 2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added some comments
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2019
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorvas View Post
Try nnn file browser (nnn-1.8.tgz), it's the best!
I just now tried nnn, seems pretty neat, I like it. Thanks
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2019
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

For what it's worth, I tried ranger last year (I think) as a self compiled binary on an outdated OpenBSD installation that had no port. As neat as it looks on first impression I found it too unstable randomly crashing. Perhaps it's because I have an entire rabbit hole of directories under $HOME that goes really deep down. Anyway, it didn't seem to me to be the kind of programme I'd trust essential file operations with.

My 2¢
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th May 2019
Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
For what it's worth, I tried ranger last year (I think) as a self compiled binary on an outdated OpenBSD installation that had no port. As neat as it looks on first impression I found it too unstable randomly crashing. Perhaps it's because I have an entire rabbit hole of directories under $HOME that goes really deep down. Anyway, it didn't seem to me to be the kind of programme I'd trust essential file operations with.

My 2¢
ranger is written in python, so... it's pretty good for what it is