DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Port Guard

Default KVM issues

I have a FreeBSD 7 box using a USB KVM - because all the other servers I have don't have PS/2 ports. This KVM operates as a hub. It is causing several problems.
- keyboard is often not available at the boot screen
- keyboard and mouse are sometimes not available when the system is fully booted ( I can see the KVM light is flashing indicating the KVM has not been fully detected. I must select another machine on the KVM and flip back, wait a minute and keep trying until the hub is detected). Really annoying.
- keyboard and mouse randomly stop working. Occaisonaly there is a message on screen about hub disconnecting. I must do as above - switching to restore. Sometimes there is a message about 'hub stall'
- keyboard and mouse work sporadically in Xfce (X). Mouse appears to not work properly at all. Clicking doesn't work often. I sometimes need to use Alt+F to get a menu up, and then the mouse works. Right clicking the mouse will cause the popup to appear nowhere near where the mouse is.

Don't know if its my KVM - it is a low end one - or FreeBSD. This KVM causes no issue with my other servers (CentOS and Windows Server). FreeBSD also causes display problems..but I can live with that. I can't be constantly unplugging and pluging in the PS/2 keyboard & mouse whenever I need to administer the server.

Any idead where to look.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Shell Scout

It's not FreeBSD as I had been running a USB 8 port for a year or so with no problems on any of my FBSD or OBSD boxes. Some mainboards have an option in the BIOS to enable USB support on bootup, and that may be part of the problem. I suspect that it's your KVM switch though.

-Tim
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2008
Port Guard

Yeah I suspect FreeBSD just doesn't "like" my KVM. Just today FreeBSD seemed to "powerdown" the KVM, without any disconnect messages. And just now it just disconnected the KVM and then reported a STALL.

But the same KVM causes absolutely no issues with my CentOS box and my Windows box. They are newer machines than my FreeBSD box. So wonder if it is related to the MB on my FreeBSD box. I suppose I could try and find the disable USB support..I have enabled Plug&Play OS in the BIOS, could that be it?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th June 2008
Spam Deminer

I had this problem with windows machine and after many try I understand my Mainboard was problem and My mainboard dose not work good with this KVM. problem is your BIOS.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Shell Scout

I agree, I think the problem is with your mainboard. BTW, for BSD I think you should have plug n play off. This lets the bios set up your hardware devices.

-Tim
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

I have turned off Plug&Play and it does seem work better. Is the BIOS MB specific - I think its Award - or generic. I was wondering what the risk with upgrading the BIOS is.

BTW anyway I can get this hub connect and hub disconnect message going only to the log file and not the screen?