DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2014
Arp Constable

Default Google Summer of Code - OpenBSD

Quote:
The OpenBSD Foundation is pleased to have been accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of Code 2014. Our ideas list is below. If you are considering applying for GSOC and are interested in anything below please get in contract with the listed prospective mentor(s).
Excerpts from the list include Hammer2, GPT support and the xf86-video-nouveau driver

More here
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2014
Spam Deminer

I hope there are people to take them up on some of these. Is it just me or does this have a slight feel of, "yeah, you want a todo list you f-ers, here take this, how's that for a todo list..." Just meaning it's a periodic question on misc asking for advice on how to pitch in or if they're going to do gsoc but it's somehow hard for most to do more than talk or fantasize about doing real significant work (I put myself in that category unfortunately).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2014
got root?

There's some good stuff on the todo list, it would be nice to see them come to fruition. An OS-agnostic NetworkManager would be a boon to all BSDs, particularly laptop users. But at the same time I have mixed feelings about too many GUI shortcuts/Linuxisms/feature creep.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
...Is it just me...
I don't know if its just you, but it certainly isn't me. I looked at that list with a "wow, oh, wow that would be so cool" emotional context.

Developers were obviously polled for projects they would recommend and mentor. If any are taken up, mentoring may be a significant time commitment on their part.

---

For a combination of usefulness and humor, I really like A bug tracking system that integrates with sendbug(1) and doesn't suck dead bunnies through bent straws.

And I also enjoyed the expected results: A bug tracking system that integrates with sendbug(1) and only drives half the developers batsh**t crazy (with the other half willing to use it) would be a resounding success.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2014
Shell Scout

Not having to use wpa_supplicant when connecting to wireless wpa2 enterprise networks could maybe be another decently sized task.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd April 2014
Port Guard

Unfortunately, only the DHCP code overhaul, Systemd utility replacements, GPT and UEFI support and modernizing the DHCP Daemon projects were able to except students according to this (type OpenBSD into the "Organization" text entry).

Projects like porting the Nouveau driver, HAMMER2 or evdev (open possibility for Wayland support) appear to have not made it through. To be honest, I think most of those projects which were accepted are of more urgency then porting Nouveau, HAMMER or creating an evdev implementation as of this moment. This is especially the case for GPT and UEFI implementation as well as Systemd utility replacements (sadly).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2014
ISO Quartermaster

I wonder what is the state of project to support GPT in OpenBSD and if this support is going to be included in 5.6.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2014
More noise than signal

Markus Müller wrote:
Quote:
During GSoC I plan to support GUID Partition Tables (GPT) for OpenBSD amd64 systems, including the installer and userland. Also, I want to lay the groundwork for UEFI support in OpenBSD.
I found two patches added in July that made it into 5.6-release:

Initial support to read GPT partition tables in the kernel
Comment out option GPT until the matching userland bits are in place

I haven't seen anything GPT-specific since.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2014
More noise than signal

New patches have just been committed. GPT development continues, post 5.6.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=140939529318142&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=140939546918159&w=2
Old 14th September 2014
Banned

In the mentioning of evdev, xproto extensions from a laptop would be the best way to start. The synaptics driver needs to be installed as the mouse and configured from there. After that, one can add a new mouse, pointer, and what not with the proper commands.