DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Instant reboot with 7.0-RELEASE

After installing 7.0-RELEASE on an asus a7n266 motherboard with athlon-xp cpu, the new system never gets to the prompt and constantly reboots. Since the installation cd actually booted and completed the install, I'm not sure of the problem.

I can install and boot into 6.3-RELEASE, copy the GENERIC kernel from 7.0 and that works.

EDIT: I have added nvidia_load="YES" to loader.conf and now the 6.3 install has similar behaviour, except I can see that it loads nvidia and then reboots. After removing that line from loader.conf, the options menu is reached and I can load nvidia from the loader prompt with no further problems. Is there any way to prevent the module from being loaded prematurely, but loaded during the boot process?

Last edited by davidgurvich; 19th May 2008 at 07:11 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Is there a way to load modules during boot, but after the loader prompt? /boot/loader.conf has the modules loading before the loader.

Not putting nvidia_load="YES" in loader.conf allows the boot process to reach the options screen, including the loader prompt. Loading nvidia from the prompt works with the 6.x kernels. Haven't tried the 7.0 kernels.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

nvidia-driver needs to be compiled for a specific kernel version, so you need to recompile the driver every time you upgrade FreeBSD.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Arp Constable

You should be able to escape to the loader prompt and load/unload modules.

The press 1 for default boot, 2 acpi disabled, blah blah is just /boot/loader. Get to a prompt and try to ask for 'help' and it'll probably give a list of pre-defined commands.

I'd guess load modulename would probably work but don't quote me, never had to screw with it that much (yet).

If you have to load a module _after_ control has been passed from onto the kernel (the boot messages which later end up logged and displayed via 'dmesg' are basically showing the kernels message buffer I believe; more experienced people here can surely correct any errors in my thinking). The best way is probably to do it during the resource configuration, assuming the nVidia LKM can be loaded after the system is alive.

I'd probably put an

Code:
if [ -e /boot/kernel/nvidia_module_name.ko ]; then
        kldload nvidia_module_name
fi
in /etc/rc.local and see what happens.

(disclaimer: I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to this side of FreeBSD)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I have been escaping to the loader prompt and using 'load nvidia' to load the module. With 6.3 I can load the module after boot and that works, but with 7.0 that doesn't work.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2008
Port Guard

I had a similar problem when the USB mouse was plugged; it simply rebooted.

I started with no mouse and plugged it later when the system was started.

then:
sysinstall
configure
mouse .... and handled from this screen.