DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Default connect to FreeBSD from Windows with VNC

I install Vncviewer on my FreeBSD , and can connect from FreeBSD to Windows

but I can not connect to FreeBSD from Windows

after I type user name and password in vncviewer nothing happen and I can not connect to FreeBSD BOX

what is problem ??
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Package Pilot

There is probably no VNC server running on your FreeBSD box. You have the viewer, but not the server. I would look at ports/net/x11vnc for your FreeBSD box.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman4life View Post
There is probably no VNC server running on your FreeBSD box. You have the viewer, but not the server. I would look at ports/net/x11vnc for your FreeBSD box.

but I install VNC with Server and viewer.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

And did you start it...? Did you configure it...?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
And did you start it...? Did you configure it...?
how I configure it or start it
I think before when I can connect from BSD box to Windows Box , VNC is starting.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Arp Constable

You have to start the vncserver before you can connect, otherwise there is nothing to connect to !

Without configuring some thing to handle such issues (probably inetd on Linux/BSD/Unix systems), there is no way for any computer to know what service you want started on receiving a request at port XYZ from host ZYX -- it's common sense. So without doing some thing like that you'll need to have the service running before connecting.

I don't see any rc scripts in the ports pkg-plist files so you probably will need to create them in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or add an entry to /etc/rc.local if you want to start the service (and leave it running) when ever the machine starts. rc.local is a shell script, the rc.d system is a system of shell scripts -> read the rc man page for details.

I used VNC on a headless machine ~two years ago and it worked fine. If you don't want to use TWM on login, you probably want to edit (or create) the ~/.vnc/xstartup shell script for the user on the VNC Server machine to handle launching the environment you want.

I used to use KDE via VNC since at the time I required my only monitor for gaming, meaning it was attached to a Windows machine ;-).

Personally I find SSH better then VNC or running an X Server whether the client is a Microsoft or Unix based system but to each their own. VNC + TWM however does work better over the network then say, VNC + Windows NT or VNC+KDE which are heavier on performance then TWM.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
You have to start the vncserver before you can connect, otherwise there is nothing to connect to !

Without configuring some thing to handle such issues (probably inetd on Linux/BSD/Unix systems), there is no way for any computer to know what service you want started on receiving a request at port XYZ from host ZYX -- it's common sense. So without doing some thing like that you'll need to have the service running before connecting.

I don't see any rc scripts in the ports pkg-plist files so you probably will need to create them in /usr/local/etc/rc.d or add an entry to /etc/rc.local if you want to start the service (and leave it running) when ever the machine starts. rc.local is a shell script, the rc.d system is a system of shell scripts -> read the rc man page for details.

I used VNC on a headless machine ~two years ago and it worked fine. If you don't want to use TWM on login, you probably want to edit (or create) the ~/.vnc/xstartup shell script for the user on the VNC Server machine to handle launching the environment you want.

I used to use KDE via VNC since at the time I required my only monitor for gaming, meaning it was attached to a Windows machine ;-).

Personally I find SSH better then VNC or running an X Server whether the client is a Microsoft or Unix based system but to each their own. VNC + TWM however does work better over the network then say, VNC + Windows NT or VNC+KDE which are heavier on performance then TWM.
How I start this service there is no way in
Code:
 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
???
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

vncserver

See the vncserver manpage, the vncconfig command also seems useful...
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I have a small howto on my website on connecting trough vnc+ssh

Have a look it might help you
http://www.violetlan.net/bsd/27/Tigh...Freebsdoverssh

Have fun
Reinhold
Old 12th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamba View Post
I have a small howto on my website on connecting trough vnc+ssh

Have a look it might help you
http://www.violetlan.net/bsd/27/Tigh...Freebsdoverssh

Have fun
Reinhold
thanks ,
your guide help many and I can connect to FreeBSD box from Windows , but I have new problem right now
I use XFCE4 for desktop but when I connect with vncviewer , I see another Desktop like Xterm , but it is not Gnome , KDE and Fluxbox.
Old 12th May 2008
Package Pilot

You can edit your startup script to invoke any window manager you like. It usually resides in ~/.vnc/xstartup.