DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2008
Shell Scout

Thumbs up NFS your thoughts

So far I was using SAMBA for file sharing between my BSD desktop and other Windows/Mac on my LAN. I was thinking of moving to NFS because of better performance and more in the spirit of Unix . But I've few concerns about NFS.

1. File sharing - How can I mount NFS on windows, I assume it can be done easily on OSX.

2. I have few windows machine on the LAN of which I don't control. I would like to share a directory with them but don't want them to have access to any other directory.

As I have no prior experience with NFS, I needed some suggestions. Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2008
Arp Constable

I was in a similar boat myself some months ago. NFS is fairly simple to work out and the most detailed how-to documentation comes from the old System Managers Manual, under OpenBSD this is located in /usr/share/doc/smm/; FreeBSD should be the same.

To mount NFS shares on Windows, I use Microsoft (Windows) Services For UNIX, aka SFU. Once you have it installed, you can use start -> all programs -> windows services for unix -> services for unix administration; to configure the NFS client and server. The main thing you probably will need to do, is setup a mapping between Windows user accounts and the ones on the NFS server.

To actually mount the share, open a cmd.exe, window, Korn Shell, or C-Shell session, and use the mount utility:

Code:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

U:\Terry>mount vectra:/srv/nfs N:
N: is now successfully connected to vectra:/srv/nfs

The command completed successfully.

U:\Terry>dir /w N:\
 Volume in drive N has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 0000-0013

Directory of N:\

[.]       [..]      [Backups] [Files]   [Terry]
               0 File(s)          5,632 bytes
               5 Dir(s)  24,717,033,472 bytes free

U:\Terry>

The SFU documentation (man mount) says to use the UNC \\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource path syntax, but it's full of it... The mount command requires the unix-stye host:share syntax to work correctly. Do not use Windows Explorer to manage the connection, use the mount/umount commands.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Do not use Windows Explorer to manage the connection, use the mount/umount commands.
But once mounted I can use Explorer to browse ther drive like local drive. right?

I also read that I can share drives using NFS. My BSD got a dvd writer but my Macbook don't, so can I mount that DVD writer on macbook and use toast(or any other burning s/w) to burn files.

I know I need fast network connection and I think if I connect two computers via ethernet with switch between them should server the need.

Last edited by rex; 24th September 2008 at 01:11 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Risen from the ashes

My philosophy has always been to use the file sharing protocol that's native to the client.

This means using CIFS/SMB for Windows clients and NFS for Unix clients.

Trying to use NFS to share files to a Windows client is like trying to shoehorn a trailer hitch onto a Firefly. It'll work for awhile, but you'll quickly burn out the motor.

Of course, there's plenty of other philosophies out there.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Arp Constable

You can use explorer fine, but it may lock-up for a bit when first opening "My Computer" or the actual network shares, until it updates itself (caching probably). Then again, I've found explorer usually locks up for awhile on almost any network related inquiry.... I typically use both explorer and cmd a lot under XP, and find both useless.

You can mount the DVD on the server, and mount it on the clients (if you export the mount dvds point!), but I doubt you can burn disks to it via the network; I would expect that to need device access, not just file I/O. Although konqueror can do a nice job of abstracting that, hehe.

@phoenix, I generally agree: except when multiple OSes are involved and must cooperate.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Tags
nfs