DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2011
Shell Scout

Default 8.1 -> 8.2: do I need to upgrade my ports first?

Good morning to you all

After quite some absence (and not using my 8.1 box a lot) I have a little spare time left. I noticed 8.2 is available, and so I decided to ruin my box again and completely () by upgrading from 8.1 RELEASE to 8.2 RELEASE by using the freebsd-update procedure.

Of course, this box not being used a lot for quite some months now is lagging behind on a serious number of ports; they are now outdated, as portversion -vl '<' shows.

The list is way too big to post here, I would be banned for flooding this post

What would be wisdom? upgrade all these ports first, or do freebsd-update first and then upgrade the ports? It is especially a point of worry since not only has upgrading a large number of ports proved to be quite difficult to me in the past, but I also saw that the upgrade to 8.2 RELEASE seems to be causing some problems (I've read Vermaden posting some necessary patches didn't make it to the 8.2 RELEASE?)

Btw, this is only a desktop with KDE4 and the usual desktop stuff like Firefox, Openoffice, and such.

Thank you in advance for any wise suggestions

Bye,
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broodjegehaktmetmayo View Post
8.1 -> 8.2: do I need to upgrade my ports first?
No, I have updated base system to 8.2-RELEASE and still use 8.1-RELEASE packages, I plan to update them 'my binary way' later time:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=33843

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2011
Spam Deminer

1... put this in /usr/local/etc/.portmasterrc
Code:
PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/
2... Then you can run
Code:
portmaster -d -B -P /var/db/pkg/[some port] /var/db/pkg/[some port]
and packages will be used if available. Be sure to change the file if/when
you update to v9...
Incidentally you may want to change the python version to python27 first
as it is the default. (For instance, a firefox package (today) would fail
to install, requiring python27 rather than python26.) I've an easy method but
it would take many paragraphs to explain fully... if one is not used to it.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
No, I have updated base system to 8.2-RELEASE and still use 8.1-RELEASE packages, I plan to update them 'my binary way' later time:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=33843
Thank you Vermaden

It was just my simple reasoning that perhaps it made sense to first have everything up to date in 8.1, because perhaps 8.2 would include some files that the ports for 8.1 would no longer digest, after which it might turn out that upgrading the ports would then leave all kinds of problems because they wouldn't want to upgrade because 8.2 RELEASE was already there (for example complaining that they would need an older version of a FreeBSD file than the one that currently would be there because of the upgrade from 8.1 -> 8.2).

At this point, I am, by the way, first trying to get the sweat of my face () by even thinking about how to backup the whole system. What I want to do is have a complete backup of the whole system (sort of an 'image' as these are common to make in Windows). So that, if the sh*t hits the fan, I can simply restore the whole disk and be where I am right now. Because getting where I am now has costed more than I thought my heart could bear ).

Sofar after reading here and over in the FreeBSD forum I understand that I need to 'dump' each partition/filesystem/slice separately, and on restoring I need to first format and label each partition/filesystem/slice separately. Conceptually it doesn't sound too hard, but then ...

Does one need to create the each partition/filesystem/slice exactly the same size as the originally were (not smaller sounds logically, but bigger is possible?)

When you do this restore can you then first create ZFS and restore to that, or is that impossible?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
1... put this in /usr/local/etc/.portmasterrc
Code:
PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8-stable/
2... Then you can run
Code:
portmaster -d -B -P /var/db/pkg/[some port] /var/db/pkg/[some port]
and packages will be used if available. Be sure to change the file if/when
you update to v9...
Incidentally you may want to change the python version to python27 first
as it is the default. (For instance, a firefox package (today) would fail
to install, requiring python27 rather than python26.) I've an easy method but
it would take many paragraphs to explain fully... if one is not used to it.
Thank you for this suggestion

The thing is, sofar I have done everything with ports, since I have been warned many times not to mix ports and packages. So using your tip to use packages would be 'dangerous' in this context?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Administrator

@Broodjegehaktmetmayo

Welcome mate.

About Your backup ...

Use dump/restore if You will restore to UFS pratitions, if you want to transition to ZFS, then stop all services and run tar(1) on whole / there is no need to run it on separate partitions.

Whichever sollution You will chose remember to stop all unneeded services during backup, including syslogd/moused/cron/...

If I would be You, I would backup all needed configuration files (ls -ltr or find and then sort by modify date can be helpful in searching for them).

The do a clean install on ZFS, restore configuration, add needed packages and so.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Spam Deminer

That warning not to mix ports/packages only applies in some instances. The portmaster command I quote has only one drawback -- past packages in /usr/ports/packages/portmaster-download/ -- which I just fixed on one machine by putting in a deletion line in a .zsh I run on each startup. For instance, if you were using a server with php... your extensions might misconfigure (conjecture, from what I read on the freebsd-questions list.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th March 2011
Daemonology student

Quote:
Sofar after reading here and over in the FreeBSD forum I understand that I need to 'dump' each partition/filesystem/slice separately, and on restoring I need to first format and label each partition/filesystem/slice separately.
Read dump(8) and restore(8). These tools dump and restore the filesystems contained in partitions, not the entire slices. So you have to run dump on each partition you want to back up and, of course, specify a different dump file name for each one. When/if you need to restore a filesystem, simply newfs the partition, mount it, cd to the mountpoint and run restore inside it.

Quote:
Does one need to create the each partition/filesystem/slice exactly the same size as the originally were (not smaller sounds logically, but bigger is possible?)
The new partition can be of any size. It can even be smaller than the old one, as long as it's sensibly bigger than the total space used by your files. dump files are not exact, block-by-block copies of partitions. They only store the used portions of filesystems and are therefore (more or less) as big as what's shown in the Used column in df -h.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
@Broodjegehaktmetmayo

Welcome mate.

About Your backup ...

Use dump/restore if You will restore to UFS pratitions, if you want to transition to ZFS, then stop all services and run tar(1) on whole / there is no need to run it on separate partitions.

Whichever sollution You will chose remember to stop all unneeded services during backup, including syslogd/moused/cron/...

If I would be You, I would backup all needed configuration files (ls -ltr or find and then sort by modify date can be helpful in searching for them).

The do a clean install on ZFS, restore configuration, add needed packages and so.
Thanks Vermaden

As to your 'if I were you': yes, that seems sensible, but I am too scared to trie it (). Getting this desktop where it is right now has taken a lot of trial and error and frustration, and starting from scratch on is something I would do if I had a one month holiday.

So I was thinking, as I have read how great ZFS is, IF I could simple use restore to restore to a ZFS file system, thereby having all the necessary ports, packages, configuration, tweaks etc still in place (the massive previous work to get to this desktop in the first place) then I could try it.

I see you say this is possible, yet you also say 'use the other method'. I think I will postpone it until I have more guts
Old 19th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_daefo View Post
That warning not to mix ports/packages only applies in some instances. The portmaster command I quote has only one drawback -- past packages in /usr/ports/packages/portmaster-download/ -- which I just fixed on one machine by putting in a deletion line in a .zsh I run on each startup. For instance, if you were using a server with php... your extensions might misconfigure (conjecture, from what I read on the freebsd-questions list.
Thanks jb_daefo

I consider myself still noob, so given the possible problems you write I will stick to ports for now; I am too easily frustrated when things don't work and it takes me hours and hours to try to fix it
Old 19th March 2011
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Read dump(8) and restore(8). These tools dump and restore the filesystems contained in partitions, not the entire slices. So you have to run dump on each partition you want to back up and, of course, specify a different dump file name for each one. When/if you need to restore a filesystem, simply newfs the partition, mount it, cd to the mountpoint and run restore inside it.

The new partition can be of any size. It can even be smaller than the old one, as long as it's sensibly bigger than the total space used by your files. dump files are not exact, block-by-block copies of partitions. They only store the used portions of filesystems and are therefore (more or less) as big as what's shown in the Used column in df -h.
Thanks Beastie