DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2008
Port Guard

Default Question about Mac OS X SLA

Mac OS X SLA (located at http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html), section 2.A:
Quote:
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.
If my thinking is correct, it would be a violation of the agreement to install Mac OS X on a completely custom-built machine (or even an old one ordered from, say, Dell)?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I'd say ye
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Installing Mac OS X on a non-Mac is a violation of the license agreement. Apart from the obvious capitalistic reasons, Mac OS X remains tied to Mac hardware because the hardware has very refined support. By using it on non-Mac hardware, you're introducing variables and bugs that have already been solved for Macs. Mac OS X is essentially a very optimized Unix that relives the old days of Unix where there was a Unix for each architecture and none of them were very interoperable.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
Installing Mac OS X on a non-Mac is a violation of the license agreement. Apart from the obvious capitalistic reasons, Mac OS X remains tied to Mac hardware because the hardware has very refined support. By using it on non-Mac hardware, you're introducing variables and bugs that have already been solved for Macs. Mac OS X is essentially a very optimized Unix that relives the old days of Unix where there was a Unix for each architecture and none of them were very interoperable.
Okay, thanks for that tidbit too. I have friends using "hackintoshes" just fine, but I'm not in a position where I can be doing questionably legal things so I guess I'll have to buy a Mac computer when I get the funds.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Shell Scout

There are custom chips that add an EFI firmware to a non-Apple PC and since the C2D CPU's have a TPM chip built-in you could theoretically install vanilla OSX on a PC with such features.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
There are custom chips that add an EFI firmware to a non-Apple PC and since the C2D CPU's have a TPM chip built-in you could theoretically install vanilla OSX on a PC with such features.
...you lost me.
Anyway I wouldn't want to break their license agreement so I'll just get a Macintosh computer in a few months.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
New User

nfries88, I don't know what you would demand of a mac, but a cheaper route to consider is a mac mini. I've really liked mine. I got it through Macmall, with some interesting discounts/rebates.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
nfries88, I don't know what you would demand of a mac, but a cheaper route to consider is a mac mini. I've really liked mine. I got it through Macmall, with some interesting discounts/rebates.
Mostly just porting to and testing on Mac and iPhoneOS, 2D (and maybe 3D) games and some smaller pieces of software mostly. Assuming it's a fully functional computer running Mac OS X Leopard, MacMini will be effective enough for that, and it's pretty small (smaller than MATX cases I think) which fits my spacial needs well.
That said I'll have plenty of cash to spare in a few months (I'm flat out broke now) so price isn't an issue for me - I'll probably get a MacBook instead.

Last edited by nfries88; 13th November 2008 at 02:25 AM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsduser View Post
That's besides the point. Just because you can install it doesn't mean it'll run s well as it would on Mac hardware.
Old 1st January 2009
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
That's besides the point. Just because you can install it doesn't mean it'll run s well as it would on Mac hardware.
Even on the original hardware you have enough bugs to live with and to drive the devs at Apple crazy. That's the prize for _every_ desktop system out there. Apart from that and the fact it's illegal: the guys arround the hackintosh project did a good job in even providing drivers etc. pp. for addon hardware not known to plain MacOS X. So there is a big difference between PR from Cupertino and reality. And if I have a look at some ancient Next machine at the institute I see something real great - even today, something I miss nowadays if I power on the Mac at work. But well for most desktop users - I have to confess - it sucks less.