DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2017
VPN Cryptographer

Default Modal shows dot files

For the life of me I can never remember how to fix this. Somehow a setting has changed and when I want to open a file in, say, Firefox or other graphical applications, the modal box shows up with the list of files in that directory including all the dot files. It never did that since the last time I fixed that but I just don't recall how to do it. That is, don't show the dot files.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2017
Daemonology student

By graphical applications, I presume you're talking about GTK-based ones specifically.

You're looking for ~/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini:
Code:
[Filechooser Settings]
[...]
ShowHidden=true
Of course don't edit the file using a GTK-based editor. Use something like vi with all GTK applications closed.

HTH
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2017
VPN Cryptographer

Hm. Mine says ShowHidden=false but I also have gtk-3.0 installed so I need to see if those applications are using that but would it be the same .ini file? There is none under that .config directory.

EDIT: Oh, wait! Maybe the double negative. Hold on.

EDIT2: That doesn't fix it setting as true or false or putting it in the gtk-3.0 directory but I only quit out of Firefox to try it. Do I need to exit out of i3-wm and relog in?

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 23rd August 2017 at 09:16 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2017
VPN Cryptographer

So @Beastie is correct and setting that to true fixes the problem but I assume I need to log out and log back in for it to take affect unless there's another method.

I did learn that, if you are in the dialog box, if you hit ctrl-h, that switches between displaying hidden files and not.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 23rd August 2017 at 09:28 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2017
Daemonology student

Configuration files like this one are constantly being used by GTK-based applications and these applications save them every time, so any manual change you make may be overridden.

That's why I suggested closing all GTK applications and using something like vi to do the edit.

But i3 is not GTK-based so I guess you had another application using the file. Logging out must have taken care of closing any remaining handle.