DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Package Pilot

Default Trouble connecting to the internet

Hello people once again:I'm trying to connect my lenovo X60 via ethernet to the internet.I have the em0 interface and i want to use dhcp so i created
Code:
/etc/hostname.em0
and wrote in it
Code:
dhcp
yet on boot i see:

Code:
starting network
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 2
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
No DHCPOFFERS recieved.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
Any ideas?

And on my ifconfig em0 i see '(none)' in the 'media:Ethernet autoselect' section.I read the networking part on the FAQ but i can't make it work.I don't know what i'm doing wrong. :/
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Code:
starting network
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 2
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on em0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
I sometimes get this at boot-time. DHCP does a four-way handshake when negotiating the IP address lease & DHCPDISCOVER is the first step issued by the client waiting for a DHCP server to reply. If the server does not respond before timing out, the simplest action to take next is simply initiate the handshake again via:

# dhclient em0
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Package Pilot

Hello once again ocicat.I have already tried that yet i get the same message with different intervals.My /etc/hostname.em0 has only "dhcp" nothing else.
could that be the problem?I tried the example on the FAQ and i also could not make it work.

I forgot to mention that the em0 interface is not the one used when i installed obsd.I had my hdisk attached to another pc(using an external case) to make the installation since my X60 has no cd drive.The interface that the system used to download and install obsd was nfe0.I hope this information helps.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
My /etc/hostname.em0 has only "dhcp" nothing else.
could that be the problem?
No.
Quote:
I forgot to mention that the em0 interface is not the one used when i installed obsd.
This shouldn't matter.

You can always run tcpdump(8) on em0 to watch the packet traffic coming into the interface, but I suspect what you are going to see is that the client is broadcasting its initial request, & no server response is coming back in a timely manner. Depending upon the hardware used & the time of day, DHCP servers may be overloaded servicing other requests.

Peripherally, I don't know how you are connecting to the Internet, but if you are attaching your laptop directly, you may want to reset the modem/router used to attach to your ISP. In particular, the cable modem I use caches the MAC address of whatever device is attached. If I change which computer is attached to the modem, I have to turn the modem off, wait ~8 seconds, then turn it back on to ensure that the previous MAC address is not still being used before I can connect to the Internet again.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
More noise than signal

DHCP is not going to work unless the physical network connection is operating. From your brief description, it does not appear to be.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
DHCP is not going to work unless the physical network connection is operating. From your brief description, it does not appear to be.
sepuku, post the output of the following command:

$ ifconfig em0

With an Ethernet cable connected to both the modem & laptop, if you don't see a light on the em0 interface lit, you don't yet have Layer 1 (physical layer) connectivity.

Last edited by ocicat; 25th July 2011 at 02:42 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Package Pilot

I'm not sure what do you mean with that. :/ And how can i make it work?I see no "psysical network connection" in the networking part of the faq.

edit:I 'm gonna try another cable and test if the cable is the problem.

Last edited by sepuku; 25th July 2011 at 02:24 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
More noise than signal

By physical connectivity, I mean functioning Ethernet cables/connectors, and functioning NICs. You need bits to be able to flow along wires, before DHCP will work.

1) Are there status indicator LEDs for the NIC at either end of your Ethernet connection? If so, that will show whether the NICs are seeing electrical connections. 2) Check your Ethernet cabling -- bad cables/connectors are not uncommon. 3) Use an alternate port on your hub/switch/router if available, as NICs on such equipment can fail. 4) Swap NICs on your computer, if you can.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th July 2011
Package Pilot

OK i'm embarased! :$ it was just the cable! :/ I bought a new one and everything is fine.Thank you for your patience and your time once again.I got one more question though:

If i reset my router,after i set the username and password, do i have to do anything else to have a working interface?Or just by re-entering username and password everything's ok?
Old 25th July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
If i reset my router,after i set the username and password, do i have to do anything else to have a working interface?Or just by re-entering username and password everything's ok?
I can only assume you are talking about setting the username & password on your router. This isn't something standardized, so you will have to either read the documentation coming with the router or experiment on your own.
Old 25th July 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
I can only assume you are talking about setting the username & password on your router. This isn't something standardized, so you will have to either read the documentation coming with the router or experiment on your own.
Yeap,that's what i'm talking about.I 'll take a look to the documentation just to be ready.

Tags
ethernet, interface settings